Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fans work but computer won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hrolsons

hrolsons

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:21 PM

So my computer will not turn on.  It got bumped by a plant that fell over.  What happens is that 3 fans turn on, but the power button does nothing.  I tried unplugging everything external and it does the same thing when I plug it in.  I would expect it to beep for an error for not having the keyboard or hard drive attached.  The machine is an HP Pavilion P6710F.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

When you restore power the system is likely performing a POST test. Since the fans are not turning back off and the system is unresponsive its likely the plant knocked something loose inside. If you are familiar with the insides of a computer, open the case and try re-seating the RAM. If that does not work go over every cable and make sure non of them have come loose.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

3 fans turn on, but the power button does nothing

In addition to Sneakycyber's post above, if you mean that the monitor is dark and unresponsive, also check that the video cable is plugged in properly at the back. Unplug it, check that there are no bent/damaged pins on the plug, and re-plug again,  If you have a separate video card installed in the case, remove it and re-seat it to make sure it didn't jiggle loose.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 zzz00m

zzz00m

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:39 PM

In addition to checking the internal and external connections, make sure that the heat sink and fan are still firmly connected to the CPU.

If you have another video card, or are using a GPU card now but have integrated video available, you could try swapping to that.

Are you not hearing any beep codes?  I fixed a friend's HP computer once that had similar symptoms.  Fans came on, but that was it, no beeps, nothing on the video output.  Tried a new power supply, swapped the CPU, but turned out that he needed a new motherboard.  On examination found that several capacitors on the motherboard were swollen and leaking.  Searched on eBay and found a refurb board for his HP model.

Here is a beep code reference guide:  https://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Edited by zzz00m, 09 March 2018 - 06:01 PM.

#5 hrolsons

hrolsons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:31 PM

I ended up trashing it.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:07 AM

Good luck with the replacement!

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:45 AM

I ended up trashing it.

The easy way out, unacceptable. :nono:

Go rescue it.

It can be a useful learning tool to learn how to troubleshoot and solve computer problems.

Nothing to lose and you might get it running or can salvage parts to perhaps use on another.

Edited by The-Toolman, 14 March 2018 - 08:49 AM.

I'm Grumpy Because I can Be Not Because I'm Old. :P :lol: 

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” (Mark Twain)

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." (Mark Twain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users