Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to search content in a PDF in Outlook

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SeekerLola

SeekerLola

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:30 AM

I am running Outlook 2016 on Windows 10.

I have always been able to run searches for specific words which can be found in the content of PDF attachments in my mail.
My PC crashed earlier in the week; our IT guy re-installed Windows and Office; using the same version of Acrobat Reader DC, but it won't pick up the content in searches anymore.

I have had this problem before on a previous PC and I have read and tried many of the solutions offered online; rebuilding the indexes does not work (in the previous instance, literally one day it just started working; the mind boggles). 

Any ideas?

have to get this working; it's almost impossible for me to work without this function.

Edited by britechguy, 08 March 2018 - 10:40 AM.
Moved from Win10 to Business Applications. An Outlook problem is far more likely than anything directly related to Windows 10.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

It would help to know what you have tried before anyone suggests anything further to try.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 null__

null__

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:26 AM

Can you save the PDF and search from it? Does the search need to happen from within Outlook?

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:22 PM

Hi, since this is a fresh install, the default file assoc are most likely set to defaults, (pdf opens in edge).

Press win + r keys together type:- 

ms-settings:defaultapps (press enter)

​Default apps open, scroll to "choose default apps by file type" locate .pdf and set your preferred.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,497 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

The issue being asked about is the ability to search PDF *Attachments* for file content from *within* Outlook.

This should be possible, by default, under Windows 10 and Outlook 2016, but the OP says it is not working.  I don't doubt that, but I'm not about to start throwing out possible solutions, many of which might have already been attempted, when someone says, at the outset, "I have read and tried many of the solutions offered online."

The things tried should be clearly identified and listed to save everyone time and effort.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:38 PM

Hi, My post was not meant to be the answer, just to ensure the file assoc were set correctly, without this nothing will work. After this we can explore further as the Op would respond, one additional question did the tech uninstall IE11 by any chance?

#7 SeekerLola

SeekerLola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:56 AM

It would help to know what you have tried before anyone suggests anything further to try.

Since it's Windows 10 it already has an iFilter

I have checked to see that PDF is selected under File Types.

Index Properties and File Contents selected.

Rebuilt indexes... took forever, but nothing has changed.

I have tried the various options presented by the Search Function within Outlook - Attachment Contains... blah, blah
Adobe is my default app to open PDFs...

It must be a setting that is different... because all the programs are the same as before...I just don't know what setting it is. 

Edited by SeekerLola, 09 March 2018 - 12:57 AM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,497 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:51 AM

Are you trying this search using e-mail with PDF attachments that you are certain would turn up in a search before?

I ask because I have seen people on occasion searching for new PDF content on files that are image PDFs that they are unaware are image PDFs and those will never have content indexed even if what's been scanned is straight text.  I am astounded in this day and age how many people still scan to create PDFs without using the built-in OCR function that comes with virtually every scanner that's been made over the last 15 years, creating documents that cannot be searched in the process.

#9 SeekerLola

SeekerLola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:43 AM

Are you trying this search using e-mail with PDF attachments that you are certain would turn up in a search before?

Yeah... as an example: PDF invoices generated in Pastel have been set up to go directly to a folder in my Outlook as an attachment; before, I was able to search, for example, the company name and all invoices with that company name will turn up even though the invoice is not Titled as such... so it is the content in the PDF the search is picking up and that is the functionality I have subsequently lost with the Windows re-install

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,497 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:14 AM

The only things I would initially suggest are:  

You could try manually installing an iFilter if the above doesn't help.  I agree it's frustrating to lose the ability to search for file content in attachments.

What version and build of Windows 10 are you running (hit the Windows Key, immediately type winver, then hit enter to find out)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users