Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multi-page cropped screen capture to PDF

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:51 AM

Is there a way to capture just the middle portion of a multi-page (scrolling) screen to a PDF?

I have an older version of SnagIt (11.1.0, 2012), which can capture the entire multi-page screen and crop the unwanted portions, but it doesn't rescale the remaining portion so it's just occupying half to one third of the page width.

I'll look into upgrading to the latest SnagIt, but thought I would ask here first if there is a better way. I have both an XP machine (Dell) and a Win 10 (Surface Book Pro).

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2018 - 12:18 PM.
Moved from Audio/Video Software to Bus Apps - Hamluis.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:27 AM

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but LibreOfficeDraw allows you delete any page or pages from a PDF document. You can download LibreOffice Portable if  you already have an office suite. Open LibreOfficeDraw and then File > Open. In the left pane press Ctril + Left click to select multiple pages. Save the PDF as a different name. 

Download v6. Double click the exe file and tell it to place the folder on your desktop.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable-versions/

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but LibreOfficeDraw allows you delete any page or pages from a PDF document. You can download LibreOffice Portable if  you already have an office suite. Open LibreOfficeDraw and then File > Open. In the left pane press Ctril + Left click to select multiple pages. Save the PDF as a different name. 

Download v6. Double click the exe file and tell it to place the folder on your desktop.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable-versions/

I can delete PDF pages using Acrobat. That's not the problem. I need to delete the edges and then resize the middle.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

Is there a reason you're not doing a screen capture and inserting a picture object in either a PDF document or MS-Word document?

If I'm understanding what you are trying to do it's somewhat like taking a single column out of a three-column text arrangement and then resizing it to fill a larger area.  This would be much easier to do dealing with images, even if one puts them in a PDF or converts them afterward.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:09 PM

Is there a reason you're not doing a screen capture and inserting a picture object in either a PDF document or MS-Word document?

If I'm understanding what you are trying to do it's somewhat like taking a single column out of a three-column text arrangement and then resizing it to fill a larger area.  This would be much easier to do dealing with images, even if one puts them in a PDF or converts them afterward.

I did do a screen capture using SnagIt. If I save it as a jpg, I can crop the junk on the sides, but the result is more than 1 page, which doesn't work well. If I save it as a PDF, then cropping and pagination is harder. I was actually hoping for a solution that captured the text as text, so it could be made to re-flow the paragraphs, while keeping the images as images.

I talked to TechSmith. The latest version of SnagIt has a feature that might do what I need. I think he called it the panoramic capture. It supposedly lets be select the area to be captured and that can flow over multiple screens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users