Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advanced Boot Menu Gone

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tripleblack

tripleblack

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

It no longer appears when I hit F8 while booting. Don't know when I lost it because I haven't booted into it in many months. This is a home built 64 bit machine running Home Premium.

Can I fix this without an installation disk?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:42 AM

Are you saying when you tap F8 during boot there are no Advanced Boot Options but it does boot into Windows, correct? Have you tried tapping F8 very fast at boot? If you simply press F8 it's easy to miss the options.

Right Click Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings in the left pane. Click the settings button under Start Up and Recovery. Check the box and set the Time to display list of operating Systems to 10 seconds.

Reboot and see if you can access the Advanced Boot Options.

#3 tripleblack

tripleblack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:30 AM

Thank you.

Yes and yes to your questions. I have tried a constant press as well. In the past it would show the menu with a moderate rate of press/release.

I did what you suggested but still no adv boot menu.

BTW: Time to display was set to 1 second. Is that the default setting? It's presently set to where you recommended.....10 sec.

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2018 - 12:12 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

What was the reason for trying to access Advanced Boot Options? Are you trying to access Safe Mode?

I only suggested 10 seconds because that is what I did when I had this problem on an HP but the box was not checked. I could not check the box because it was grayed out. I had to create a file called bootstat.dat in C:\Windows before I was allowed to change the time. Once I did this I was able to access Advanced Boot Options. Before this it went straight to Windows.

You could attempt to create a bootstat.dat file and copy it to C:\Windows. Create a new textfile. rename the text file from NewTextDocument.txt to bootstat.dat then copy to C:\Windows. Reboot and tap F8. 

Other than the above the only other idea I have is to make sure all devices are removed other than your mouse and keyboard. 

I would make sure your Windows 7 is up to date before doing any banking or purchases. What was the reason for trying to access Advanced Boot Options? 

#5 tripleblack

tripleblack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:55 AM

Only checking all operations for problems. No other reason.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:00 PM

Other than perhaps doing a sfc /scannow at a command prompt to check for problems that's all I've got, sorry.

#7 tripleblack

tripleblack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

Thanks anyway for trying.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

Please open an elevated command prompt and type:

bcdedit

Post a screenshot. You can use the snipping tool to capture the command prompt window. Attach the jpg by clicking more reply options or post it to a image hosting service and provide the URL.

#9 tripleblack

tripleblack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

Please open an elevated command prompt and type:

bcdedit

Post a screenshot. You can use the snipping tool to capture the command prompt window. Attach the jpg by clicking more reply options or post it to a image hosting service and provide the URL.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Boot.JPG   193.46KB   0 downloads

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

I thought recoveryenabled may have been listed as "No" but it shows as Yes which is normal. I think possibly the recovery image Windows uses is corrupted. There is a way to repair it but it is an involved process and something I have never done. 

Personally, I would create a System Repair Disk should you need it. It basically does what the Advanced Options Do minus things like Use Last Known Configuration but the System Repair Disk can repair startup problems and do a System Restore offline.

Once you get Windows 7 updated I would recommend creating a complete disk image to a USB external drive using a program like Easeus Todo Backup Free.

#11 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:38 PM

can you open the bios screen? f2, f10, tab, or del key?   one of them anyways....

if you can't then maybe it's your keyboard.  if you can get into bios and not the f8 menu then maybe your usb legacy mode is turned off at boot causing you not to be able to get to the f8 menu.

it's hard to say.   i have a belkin keyboard that if i do a reboot i can't use it until i either turn the machine all the way off or unplug it and plug it back in.

try a different keyboard..

#12 tripleblack

tripleblack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

I thought recoveryenabled may have been listed as "No" but it shows as Yes which is normal. I think possibly the recovery image Windows uses is corrupted. There is a way to repair it but it is an involved process and something I have never done. 

Personally, I would create a System Repair Disk should you need it. It basically does what the Advanced Options Do minus things like Use Last Known Configuration but the System Repair Disk can repair startup problems and do a System Restore offline.

Once you get Windows 7 updated I would recommend creating a complete disk image to a USB external drive using a program like Easeus Todo Backup Free.

I cannot do a repair install. Unfortunately I bought a suspect copy of Windows when I built this machine 3-4 years ago. I was scammed and didn't realize. I made a mistake and I'm sorry for it. I would like to iron out the bugs in this because I'm not sure whether or not they will be carried over if/when I someday "upgrade" to Windows 10.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

Since the upgrade to Windows 10 is no longer free, I would suggest you do a clean install vs upgrading your Windows 7 OS. This would of course require you to reinstall all your programs. 

Depending on what you use the computer for consider putting a linux distro on the computer. For Windows users Mint Cinnamon is a good choice. If you have Mission Critical Windows programs this would not be a good option though.  You said the computer has not been touched in many months so I am assuming this is a secondary computer.

To get a feel of the OS you can burn a DVD and use it as a live session where your HDD is not touched. It will run from RAM and the DVD/USB.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3457

#14 tripleblack

tripleblack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:11 AM

Since the upgrade to Windows 10 is no longer free, I would suggest you do a clean install vs upgrading your Windows 7 OS. This would of course require you to reinstall all your programs. 

Depending on what you use the computer for consider putting a linux distro on the computer. For Windows users Mint Cinnamon is a good choice. If you have Mission Critical Windows programs this would not be a good option though.  You said the computer has not been touched in many months so I am assuming this is a secondary computer.

To get a feel of the OS you can burn a DVD and use it as a live session where your HDD is not touched. It will run from RAM and the DVD/USB.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3457

I would rather not do a clean install.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:47 AM

Creating regular System Restore Points along with a System Repair Disk will take the place of the Advanced Boot Options other than Safe Mode which can be started from inside Windows.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 March 2018 - 09:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users