Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable modem: 5GHz band works fine but 2.4GHz band loses connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:26 AM

ASUS K52F Laptop: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with latest 'important' updates

Cable modem:  ARRIS SBG-6700AC

Cable provider:  COX

Connecting to Internet with 5GHz band works fine all the time. But if I use the 2.4GHZ band, the internet connection after a few minutes will be either quite slow or be lost.  I then switch to the 5GHz band and all is fine. I only have one wireless device, the laptop, which is 5 feet from the cable modem. I am on the top floor of a condo. There are 12 other modems from other residents that I see when I click on the Windows internet icon.

802.11 modes: 

2.4GHz band = b/g/n, bandwidth = 20 MHz   

5GHz band = a/n/ac,  bandwidth = 20 MHz    

Logging into the cable modem, the 5GHz band is running on channel 149 & the modem reports that the interference level is "acceptable". The 2.4GHz band has 11 channels - 1 through 11 with the current channel set to "auto". The interference level for Channel 1 switches between "acceptable" and "severe". If I switch to channel 2 through 11, the interference level is "severe".

I don't understand why the 2.4GHz band does not provide reliable operation. Can someone explain? How do I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,195 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:34 AM

do you use a cordless telephone in your condo?

and by that i dont mean a cell phone, i mean a cordless phone that has a base plugged into a telephone jack

cordless phones like that can interfere with 2.4 signal.....even if you are not using one, maybe some of your neighbors are....and they would be close enough that it could interfere with your 2.4 signal

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:46 AM

Probably either the 2.4GHz section of the modem is developing a problem, or as has been said, there's a lot of competing signals on the band, either the 12 modems you identify, or something else on 2.4GHz.

Connecting to Internet with 5GHz band works fine all the time.

Is there a reason to not just do this?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

Thank you all!!  My telephone service is through Pioneer telephone using VOIP. This service uses a device that plugs into an Ethernet connection on the cable modem and my AT&T phone base station plugs into the Pioneer device.The AT&T phone system has 2 cordless handsets that use 1921.536MHz - 1928.448MHz. This is not close to 2.4GHz so I don''t think this is the problem. Agree?

But the problem, as you say, can be other devices from other residents of my building.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:34 PM

I use a program called  inSSIDer to view all the WIFI signals your machine can pick up.  This will help to see if you have an interfering signal and you can view the channels and choose a clear one or at least move to one not bothered by a stronger signal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users