Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facing Problem of GPU Overheating

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jandikar

jandikar

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:25 AM

My GPU has started overheating, hitting 85-90 C and throttling down. I pulled the heat sink off, which was full of lint, cleaned the contacts, re-applied The Chill Factor thermal grease, spread with a card for a nice thin layer, screwed the heat sink back in in number order, retested, and I'm still getting 85-90 C temps. CPU is doing great, at about 40 C under gaming load. Fans on full, of course.

What to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zack61w

zack61w

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:51 AM

Hi,

I would suggest you to ensure the following things:

1. How you applied the thermal paste? ~Spreading out the paste then fixing the heat sink causes air bubbles. Due to that chances are there for over heating.

2. How much thermal paste you applied? ~Too much or too little is bad, a pea size is always best.

3. Is the heat sink fan clean?Clean it thoroughly, no dust must be preset.

4. Make sure the heat sink is fitted as it is supposed to be. 

5. Make sure you're not overclocking the GPU, check if your GPU is running at stock clock rate.

6. Some thermal paste have breaking time, i.e it takes time for the thermal paste to do its work. 

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2018 - 12:32 PM.

#3 jandikar

jandikar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:37 AM

I just spread it over but i have used too much like i was pasting paper with glue.

Heat sink fan is attached if i used air blower on it. Won't you think instead of dust coming out it go deep.

I don't even know what overclocking is. So the question of over clocking does not arises.

and it's been 3 days since i used thermal paste over it.

Edited by hamluis, 11 March 2018 - 08:14 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:02 PM

The amount of thermal compound that is used is about the size of a grain of rice.  The CPU's surface (heat spreader) and the heatsink have very small imperfections which the thermal compound files.  These imperfections are so minor that they macroscopic and are almost not visible.  But by filling these voids with a thermal compound increases the thermal convection which allows for a faster transfer of heat through the heatsink.

I'm not sure why jandikar believes that the thermal compound needs to "break in".  The CPU can be attached to the heat sink once the thermal compound is applied, you start and run the computer anytime after the compound has been applied.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:15 PM

If your video card has a fan on it, make sure that fan is running. They can fail after a period of time, and it's easy to overlook.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 jandikar

jandikar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:48 AM

If your video card has a fan on it, make sure that fan is running. They can fail after a period of time, and it's easy to overlook.

The fan of my graphics card is working but due to its overheating issue they run all the time.

That's what worries me most.

Edited by jandikar, 10 March 2018 - 01:35 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the GPU fan is always running.  I really wouldn't worry about this as long as your temperatures are staying within normal operating temperatures.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 zack61w

zack61w

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:09 PM

I just spread it over but i have used too much like i was pasting paper with glue.

Heat sink fan is attached if i used air blower on it. Won't you think instead of dust coming out it go deep.

I don't even know what overclocking is. So the question of over clocking does not arises.

and it's been 3 days since i used thermal paste over it.

I'd suggest you to clean the present thermal paste and reapply a small amount of thermal paste like a pea size on the centre of the GPU then fix the heat sink as it is. This allows the paste to evenly spread automatically by motion of physics.  

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2018 - 05:00 PM.

#9 jandikar

jandikar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:35 AM

Roger that i am going t reapply thermal paste. 

Edited by hamluis, 11 March 2018 - 08:15 AM.

#10 zack61w

zack61w

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:41 AM

Use nail polish remover solution or rubbing alcohol to remove the old thermal paste btw 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users