Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home And Xp Pro With Wireless Printer Sharing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ra2833

ra2833

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:55 AM

Hello,

i am not able to figure this one out. i am able to see shares and printers on LAN, but not with wireless.

Computer A: XP home desktop
Linksys wireless router
Computer B: XP Pro laptop

When i connect both A and B computers to the router "directly" via the ethernet ports, all is well. i am able to see the shares on both directions from both of the computers.

BUT,

when i disconnect the laptop from the router and use the wireless to connect to the internet all is well, but if i want to see the shares on computer A (desktop) i can no longer see them. i can not see iether shares from iether direction. i can ping each other but that is about it.

what is this all about?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:04 AM

Use the wireless connection wizard in the control panel of each computer to establish the wireless network.

What do you have the printer connected to?

Both computers need to have the printer software and drivers to share the printer and you need either a print server or connect the desktop to the printer to act as a print server.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:51 AM

I have heard that some wireless routers will try to isolate the wireless side of the network from the wired side (for security reasons). You may want to read through the documentation for the router to see if this is the case with LinkSys products.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ra2833

ra2833
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:44 PM

Use the wireless connection wizard in the control panel of each computer to establish the wireless network.

What do you have the printer connected to?

Both computers need to have the printer software and drivers to share the printer and you need either a print server or connect the desktop to the printer to act as a print server.

The printer is connected to Computer A: desktop which has xp home. AND, even though my wireless "works" perfectly find when surfing the internet via the same router from Computer B, do i still need to implement your suggestion on using the "wireless connection wizard"?

Edited by ra2833, 03 October 2006 - 01:45 PM.

#5 ra2833

ra2833
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:45 PM

I have heard that some wireless routers will try to isolate the wireless side of the network from the wired side (for security reasons). You may want to read through the documentation for the router to see if this is the case with LinkSys products.

i will look into it ASAP.. thx

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:13 PM

The printer is connected to Computer A: desktop which has xp home. AND, even though my wireless "works" perfectly find when surfing the internet via the same router from Computer B, do i still need to implement your suggestion on using the "wireless connection wizard"?

If you want to network the two computers so you can share the printer you do, or you can set up the network manually which is more difficult.

The router recognizing both computers to share the internet connection does not mean the two computers recognize each other or even that the one with the printer recognizes the other.

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 October 2006 - 02:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users