Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Surface 2 RT crashing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MrWutItDew

MrWutItDew

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:27 PM

My Surface 2 starts and operates normal but crashes shortly after with horizontal lines across the screen. Restarts with no problem just does the same thing over and over making it uneasy to use. what could be causing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:29 AM

Boot into Safe Mode to see if the problem occurs there.  If it doesn't this is most likely a display driver problem.

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and copy and paste msconfig.  This will open System Configuration.

9gerCX6.png

Click/tap on the Boot tab, then click/tap Safe boot.

Click/tap on Apply, then OK.

Restart the computer and it will boot into Safe Mode.

Warning:  You computer will continue to boot into Safe Mode when it is started until you remove the check from Safe boot.

If the problem still occurs in Safe Mode look in the Device Manager to see if there are any yellow triangles with a black exclamation mark warnings or a red Xs under Display adapters.

If there are warning or error icons click/tap on the Driver tab and uninstall the driver, then restart the computer.  When the computer is started it will install a new driver.

Edited by dc3, 09 March 2018 - 10:30 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MrWutItDew

MrWutItDew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:44 PM

Not crashing in safe mode actually stayed on for about a hour and a half. I put it back to normal it crashed in 3 minutes. I cant find the device manager anywhere and i was looking at the unstructions you sent i have Windows 8.1 idk if matters

#4 MrWutItDew

MrWutItDew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:40 AM

Windows RT 8.1

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

To access the Device Manager press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the X key to open the Quick Link Menu.

In the menu that opens click/tap on Device manager.  This will open the Device Manager.

I want you to run a Clean Boot to see if we can find a third party service which is causing this problem.  This procedure is a process of elimination.  The instructions will lead you through disabling all third party services and restarting the computer.  If this problem is being caused by a third party service the computer should not exhibit the problem after restarting the computer.  If this is the case you will divide the services in half and enable one half of those services, then restart the computer.  If the service is in the half of the services which was enabled the computer should exhibit the problem.  If it does not you will need to remove the checks in the enabled half and then enable the second half.

Once you have found the half of the services which is causing the problem continue to halve the services to eliminate until you find the service causing the problem.

This can be a time consuming process, so pick a time where you can afford the time needed to go through this process.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click/tap on the General tab.   

2. Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

3. Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

clean-boot-1.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean-boot2.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean-boot3.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Divide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining services and restart the computer.

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11. The half which has the service causing this problem remove half of the checks as you did previously to see which half has this service.  Restart the computer.  

12.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the services.

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  

Edited by dc3, 10 March 2018 - 09:22 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 MrWutItDew

MrWutItDew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:29 PM

im trying to go thru it maybe im doing it wrong but i did the first half. first half selected it didnt crash. second half did but to narrow the second half it selects more than what i select to enable. when i click apply it checks about 8-10 more boxes

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:03 AM

im trying to go thru it maybe im doing it wrong but i did the first half. first half selected it didnt crash. second half did but to narrow the second half it selects more than what i select to enable. when i click apply it checks about 8-10 more boxes

After step number 7 you do not use the Apply or OK options.  You either add check marks or remove them.

After step .7 you do not use the Apply or OK options in the process of elimination which this is.

You have followed the instruction to step .7 and restarted the computer. You find that the problem is no longer occurring. Now you know that there is a problematic service causing this problem. This is where the process of elimination begins.

Let's say that there are 20 third party services . Divide these in half leaving you 10 services in each half by adding checks to one half (10) of these services. Restart the computer to see if the problem occurs in that half. If the problem doesn't occur, remove the checks from the one half and add the checks to the other half and restart the computer. After doing this you will know which half of the services contains the problematic service. You will continue to divide the services in half, add checks, restart the computer to find which half contains the problematic service and continue with the process of elimination till you find the service causing this problem.

Once you find the problematic service post the name of this service in your topic.

#8 MrWutItDew

MrWutItDew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:52 PM

these boxes will not stay unchecked. I only press ok and not apply

these boxes will not stay unchecked. I only press ok and not apply

Attached Files

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:52 AM

As I stated in my last post, you do not need to press Apply or OK.  Just delete the checks, add the new one, restart the computer.  It's that simple.  If you needed to press or select either of these the instructions would have indicated this.

#10 MrWutItDew

MrWutItDew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:49 PM

no matter which way i do it the boxes stikl wind up checked, i click the remaining 12 then remove 6 i dont click ok or apply i just restart the computer when it booted those same boxes thats checked in the pictures are checked again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users