Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU Coil Whine [Looking for a solution]

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dottoRe

dottoRe

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:50 PM

Hi, I recently changed my PC ( New : CPU, MB, Ram, SSD and case) and I'm having some troubles.

I noticed that I can hear some crackling, hissing, static or whatever you wanna call it noises in my USB headset ( Razer Kraken). I tried a ton of fixes and tweekings found on google about static noise but without success. This noise was coming only when I was playing CS:GO, but not in the menu, only after a map was loaded. So I decided to open my case and listen to my pc. Then I found the Problem : The GPU was the culprit (?)* because in Cs:go it has to push above 200 fps and that's why I was hearing the noise only in gameplay. So I googled about this and found out that this sound is called "coil whine" and is pretty much normal, or at least is not unusual.

So my questions are :

1.Would an USB-Hub make the coil whine dissapear or at least not noticeable in the headset ?

2. The gpu was fine, also the headset with my old Motherboard. Could be the new one the reason for the problems ?

3. This is a difficult one to say : Would a new PSU make things better ? The old and actual one wasn't having compatibility problems with the gpu, but who knows...

4. I tought about an external Sound card, but those don't have usb conections. Are there some alternatives ? (preferably cheap, I'm not a rich guy)

5. Any other ideas ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:28 PM

Coil whine is a physical high frequency sound that is radiated from the coils on the GPU PCB, you hear it directly through the air, not via headset/phones or speakers.

If the effect in the headset has only begun with fitment of the new mainboard, then it's almost certainly coupling within the mainboard from the video data stream into the audio. Some mainboards are not so good in this regard.

It is possible that the PSU could contribute to such a problem, but since it seems to have arrived with the mainboard, more likely that. The only way to be sure would be to try a different, known good PSU & see if it changed.

Borrowing an external sound module and listening to its output with regular headphones would at least let you work out if that's where the interference is happening. You should be able to select the USB headset as source and output for an external USB unit, but that doubles the latency of your sound compared with direct connection to the module. It would at least let you do testing to eliminate the possibility.

Edited by Platypus, 07 March 2018 - 05:29 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 dottoRe

dottoRe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:49 AM

Coil whine is a physical high frequency sound that is radiated from the coils on the GPU PCB, you hear it directly through the air, not via headset/phones or speakers.

If the effect in the headset has only begun with fitment of the new mainboard, then it's almost certainly coupling within the mainboard from the video data stream into the audio. Some mainboards are not so good in this regard.

It is possible that the PSU could contribute to such a problem, but since it seems to have arrived with the mainboard, more likely that. The only way to be sure would be to try a different, known good PSU & see if it changed.

Borrowing an external sound module and listening to its output with regular headphones would at least let you work out if that's where the interference is happening. You should be able to select the USB headset as source and output for an external USB unit, but that doubles the latency of your sound compared with direct connection to the module. It would at least let you do testing to eliminate the possibility.

Thank you for the answer.

Returning the MB or testing the system with another PSU are not so handy solutions for me right now. Also  borrowing a sound module is not an option. So the most handy one remains the USB-hub. What do you think, will the buzzing go if I buy one ?

Edited by dottoRe, 08 March 2018 - 05:50 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:24 AM

I think it's unlikely, but like the sound module, you don't know anyone who already has a USB hub that you could borrow for a while?

#5 dottoRe

dottoRe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:45 AM

I think it's unlikely, but like the sound module, you don't know anyone who already has a USB hub that you could borrow for a while?

nah...that's the thing.. I'm kinda alone here.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

Oh well, needs must... a hub would be the lowest cost thing to try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users