Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Upgrade Question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Londonchris

Londonchris

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:23 AM

I have two sticks of 256mb ram at the moment ....
Is it ok to replace one of them with a 1gb stick or does it have to be both ?
I know two of the same is better but wondered if i can get away with only buying one.
Thanks for help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:22 AM

hi, londonchris,

you'll have to supply more information, ie, system specs, motherboard type.

you can always check the manual of your motherboard if you have one, or check the motherboard makers website to see what type and how much memory it can support.

#3 Londonchris

Londonchris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:58 AM

Thanks for replying.
I have a mico-star PM8M2-V (MS 7071) Motherboard .
States 2 x Dimms w/ DDR400 up to 2GB.

Means nothing to me :thumbsup:
How can i tell what i have at the moment? all i know is i have 512mb.
Presuming i have 2 sticks in at the moment.
I tried one of those system programs which gave me a list of compatible memory things but what i have now was unknown.
Is the make/model printed on the stick? (haven`t looked yet).
Also do i have to have exactly the same type / make ram stick and can i use 2 different memory sizes?
Bit dumb on these things :huh:
Thanks.

#4 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:56 AM

Londonchris: For issues regarding installation of memory, here is a great resource that would be invaluable in assisting you in finding the appropriate answer to your questions. Try " Crucial Technology", a division of Micron Technology thats a recognized leader in that industry. Go to crucial.com/support, you can get invaluable assistance with installation issues, FAQs on memory issues, etc.. You can not go wrong with them, as I just got through installing more memory in my computer with their support. It was a breeze! And, do not forget another source for help is your computer manufacture-they should be able to assist you with your questions on installation of memory. Good luck. you will have fun doing it your self as I did. Regard. MGBY .

#5 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:51 AM

Hey Londonchris,

For the most part, there should be some type of # to identify the RAM on the actual stick. You can Google it, and you might be surprised.

One stick will work, but if possible, get two sticks...
If you want 1Gig...get 2 / 512 sticks
2Gig...get 2 / 1G sticks..

Make Sure you get the same type... DDR400... Take the RAM with you, so you are sure!

Two sticks will perform better than one single stick... :thumbsup:

Edited by killmypc, 03 October 2006 - 06:57 AM.

#6 Londonchris

Londonchris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:15 AM

What i was trying to get at was,if i replace one of the 256mb sticks with a 1gb stick i`ll still have two sticks installed.
1 x 1gb stick and one of the original 256mb sticks. is this ok or do i need 2 sticks of equal "power"?

#7 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:18 AM

You can mix size, as long as they are the same Type / Speed. :thumbsup:

#8 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:38 AM

hi, londonchris,

check if this is your motherboard, you can also download a manual here:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mai...ail.php?UID=656

if you scroll down the page you'll see what ram the board supports, also, a great tool for finding out info about the memory you already have installed, ie, speed, make, amount, is 'cpu-z' which is free and you can get here:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

hope that helps

#9 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:45 AM

Sound recommendation per killmypc. I totally concurs with the advice. Two sticks of matching 512MB, or two sticks of matching 1 GB. is the way to go. Yes, two sticks does work better/enhances performance. Of course, keep in mind computer having more memory is always a big plus. I would go with two sticks of matching 1GB. And, Londonchris: it appears that your computer would be able to accomodate 2 GB. take care. MGBY.

#10 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:46 AM

rubiconeye,

cpu-z looks like good info...

Everest Home is also good... gives lots of info, RAM, Mobo info, temperatures, cpu speed....etc
Everest Home is Here :thumbsup:

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:21 AM

If your processor is a hyper-threading P4 processor the memory in each channel must match exactly.

See the spec page for your motherboard:

CPU
• Supports Intel® Pentium 4 / Celeron D /processors in LGA775 package.
• Supports up to Pentium 4 5XX and Celeron D 3XX sequence processor.
• Supports Intel 04B and 04A processors.
Supports Intel Hyper-Threading technology.
• Supports up to 3.8GHz, FSB@ 800/533MHz

Main Memory

• Supports Four memory banks using two 184-pin unbuffered DDR333/400 DDR DIMM.
• Supports up to 2GB memory size.
• Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM.
Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.
Example: Kingston HyperX DDR500 PC4000 operates at 2.65V, 3-4-4-8, CL=3.
For more information about specification of high performance memory modules, please check with your Memory Manufactures for more details.
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec....-V&class=mb

If you are going to download Everest get it from oldversion.com and get V1.51
The reason is that V1.51 was the last freeware version that had the software module which gives you information and license numbers for all the software you have installed on your computer. Newer freeware versions do not have that capability.

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 October 2006 - 09:24 AM.

#12 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:28 AM

If you are going to download Everest get it from oldversion.com and get V1.51
The reason is that V1.51 was the last freeware version that had the software module which gives you information and license numbers for all the software you have installed on your computer. Newer freeware versions do not have that capability.

That's good to know...thanks for that.

#13 Londonchris

Londonchris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:05 AM

Thanks for all the help,i`m getting the idea now!
Just like to know though.....
Since i want to play graphically challenging games would having different power ram sticks (1x 256mb, 1x1gb) and no dual channel be ok for now?
Must be better than 2x 256mb with dual channel?
I aim to get another 1gb stick later so i`ll get the dual channel back,but would like to know if changing one for now would give enough improvement?

Many thanks.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:35 AM

I'd suspect that it would be better, but there's no way to tell without benchmarking the system. And to do that, you'd have to have another 1 gB stick.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:58 AM

Londonchris : How are you doing in your endeavor of adding more memory to your computer? Hope all the suggestions has been helpful. I am sure this has been a positive learning experience for you, it sure has been for me. take care. YOYO(MGBY). :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users