Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft confirms Windows 10 is getting a new ‘S Mode’ in 2019

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,636 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:35 AM

Microsoft says its plans to move Windows 10 S from a dedicated operating system to a special “S Mode” for versions of Windows 10 next year. While news leaked of the plans last month, Microsoft VP Joe Belfiore confirmed them on Twitter today. “Next year 10S will be a ‘mode’ of existing versions, not a distinct version,” says Belfiore.

The new S Mode will lock down any copy of Windows 10 so it can only run apps from the Microsoft Store, and will work the same way as the dedicated Windows 10 S operating system was built to do. Microsoft is planning a new “S Mode” for Windows 10 Home, Enterprise, and Pro versions of the operating system.

Rumors previously suggested that Microsoft is planning to allow Windows 10 Home users to disable the S Mode free of charge, but Windows 10 Pro customers with S Mode enabled on their device will be forced to pay $49 to get access to a full version of Windows 10 Pro. Microsoft hasn’t confirmed this aspect of the new “S Mode” changes, and if the switch isn’t coming until 2019 then those details probably haven’t been fined tuned just yet.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/7/17089850/microsoft-windows-10-s-mode-changes-2019

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,861 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:13 AM

As far as I'm concerned, from a practical standpoint, whether it's Windows 10 S native or Windows 10 [Edition Here] S Mode it's a distinction without difference.

I am still trying to figure out where MS believes the market that's clamoring for Windows 10 S (or S-Mode).   I have yet to hear of anyone, individual or institutional, talking about it.

I doubt that anyone would buy an S-Mode enabled device unless they want one in the first place.  I haven't seen a single one on the shelves in my area.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22,636 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:21 AM

From what I understand Microsoft wants to compete with Chromebooks in the educational market. 

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,861 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

From what I understand Microsoft wants to compete with Chromebooks in the educational market. 

I understand what their intent is.   But it was unlikely to be met when Windows 10 S was Windows 10 S.   Unless there's some huge discount for S-mode machines, which seems awfully unlikely to me, there will be limited demand.   Also, having been in education for several years at the dawn of the 2000s, Windows machines and Macs were popular (and remain so) because one can easily add/subtract software from them over time.

I can't see the advantage that Windows S confers beyond what setting up student users with standard accounts does.  Windows 10 S and S-Mode is another solution in search of a problem that doesn't exist.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22,636 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:41 AM

According to the BC article some laptops will sell for $189. I don't know if Chromebooks have reached critical mass where any attempt to take market share will fail.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:35 AM

Post #2, I think we can see from their recent (several years now, perhaps since about when windows 8 first came out) behaviour that ms doesn't care what the market wants. No-one is clamoring for a version of windows 10 which gives them less freedom and control. But ms is still obsessed by the absurd and dangerous dream which was Windows RT, they don't want to make a product people will like, they just want to use their unacceptably high dominance in the desktop/laptop OS market to force their vision (which will surely involve unwelcome extra payments from users to m$ at some point in the course of things) onto the world.

Edited by rp88, 10 March 2018 - 10:35 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 IttechGyan

IttechGyan

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:51 PM

We use Win10S as an option for schools or businesses that want the 'low-hassle'/ guaranteed performance version. Next year 10S will be a "mode" of existing versions, not a distinct version. SO … I think it's totally fine/good that it's not mentioned.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22,636 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:26 AM

What business would want to run only Windows Store Apps? I can't imagine any giving up their Win32 programs that did not have a UWP equivalent. 

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:36 PM

Post #8, one where managerial types accompanied by layers of bureaucracy and uninformed "policy" run everything without advice from anyone with mild technical ability let alone anyone with full technical expertise. Far too many businesses, and non-business organisations (government departments, non-profits...), like that exist.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,861 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:38 PM

Post #9:  Sad, but absolutely, positively true.  And the bigger the bureaucracy (whether private sector or public sector) the worse the situation tends to be.

~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users