Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Upgrade Since '08, still running 40-50fps, Do Not Want To Upgrade Until '28?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Gold333

Gold333

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

Hi,
I've been getting 40-50 fps recently out of most AAA titles on this PC I built in 2008.

Now I'm looking to upgrade as I want to enable 3D projector based 1:1 lifesize wall gaming and my PC can't keep up with the 3D system I bought.

I have been out of the hardware loop since '08.

Can anyone recommend a system (and CPU stepping) that I will (hopefully) not need to update until 2028?

This is my system:

(It was state of the art in 2008, but note it was not the ludicrously priced Extreme Edition variants, etc. It was just a common sense High End, extremely overclockable setup.)

CPU: QX9650 @ 3.0 ghz (overclocked to 4.07ghz @ 1.28v for 10 years. Stepping E0 so more stable overclock)

CPU FAN: ASUS SIlent Knight II

MB: ASUS Striker II NSE @ 1805 FSB (Note, not the expensive Extreme Edition)

RAM: Corsair XMS3 DHX DDR3 @ 1650mhz

HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

GPU: ASUS GTX 670 TOP CUII (upgraded in '12, will replace with a GTX 1070 TOP CUII)

POWER: Coolermaster 600W

So as you can see it was overclockable, top of the line (at least it lasted me for 10 years) BUT it was not the most expensive of what you could buy in '08. I.e. It was not the expensive Extreme Edition or the mega high wattage hot running versions.

What similar (air cooled) setup would members buy today that they could expect them to last for around another 10 years?

Budget is around $1200 for just the MB, CPU, RAM and SSD, that's ideally including a GTX 1070, but I could use the 670 Top CUII for a little while if I must. No case or peripherals needed. Sweet overclockability would be nice. Ideally I'd like to keep to these brands as they've worked without a hitch for 10 years, but I'm open to other reliable brands.

Edited by Gold333, 06 March 2018 - 06:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:10 PM

Try this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/G3zqsZ

You may want to wait till the prices come down on that video card, but figure an additional $300.-$400. for a decent card

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:24 PM

Let me see if I understand...you want an "upgrade"...that will assure a specific capability for gaming...with a target date up to 2028?

I have to laugh at the idea...no one knows what developments may take place in the World Of Computing over the next 10-year period...and you cannot get an idea of how that might look...by tracking back 10 years from today to 2008.

Just my opinion...

You may want to look at some of These Links.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 March 2018 - 07:36 PM.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:07 PM

Louis:  Those were my first thoughts too.  Actually, I wondered how it got this far and only the 3D rendering slowed it down.  I would find an electronics dealer with a liberal return policy and investigate a new video card that may be all the unit needs.  Sounds like a dependable build and would be a very viable platform for that upgrade.

#5 Gold333

Gold333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:33 PM

Louis:  Those were my first thoughts too.  Actually, I wondered how it got this far and only the 3D rendering slowed it down.  I would find an electronics dealer with a liberal return policy and investigate a new video card that may be all the unit needs.  Sounds like a dependable build and would be a very viable platform for that upgrade.

Bud. Sarcasm works when it's subtle.

Come on guys/gals. Just name me a modern good high end intel cpu and motherboard combo that isn't the ultimate in price but a rung or two below it that'll last.

Thanks for the links, I'll take a look. But it shouldn't be rocket science.

The internet is full of people still using a QX9650, which is so many generations behind, in automotive terms it would be similar to someone saying a certain breed of horse is what I need for a specific Formula One Grand Prix race today. That said it would still run say Assassin's Creed Unity (a very graphically demanding game released '15 at a respectable 40-50 fps on high), 7 years after it's release

Surely there's a modern cpu today that is known for being the best high end price/performance combo that I can look at as an upgrade.

Edited by Gold333, 06 March 2018 - 08:37 PM.

#6 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:11 AM

Intel's 8700K is currently on top in gaming performance.....unfortunately, the only way to get 'top within reason' performance gaming -wise from a GPU today is to fork out $1100 or so on a 1080Ti....

Doubt a rig so based will be 'marginal' in 2-3 years time, and may even be fine 4-5 years down the road, but, it would be a tad risky to assume the next 10 years' progress will equal the last 10 years' lack of overall performance gains....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#7 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 925 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:32 AM

There's no way to predict the future of pc tech or where the game industry will be in two years much less 10. You'll just have to pull that trigger and hope for the best. Video cards, hard drive tech and cpu's can change faster than a baby goes through diapers. I've heard rumors of DDR5 pc memory around the corner.

#8 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:06 AM

Maybe Optane will even begin to catch up with mainstream NVME M.2 drives within a few years? :)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#9 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:08 AM

Bud. Sarcasm works when it's subtle.

Come on guys/gals. Just name me a modern good high end intel cpu and motherboard combo that isn't the ultimate in price but a rung or two below it that'll last.

Thanks for the links, I'll take a look. But it shouldn't be rocket science.

The internet is full of people still using a QX9650, which is so many generations behind, in automotive terms it would be similar to someone saying a certain breed of horse is what I need for a specific Formula One Grand Prix race today. That said it would still run say Assassin's Creed Unity (a very graphically demanding game released '15 at a respectable 40-50 fps on high), 7 years after it's release

Surely there's a modern cpu today that is known for being the best high end price/performance combo that I can look at as an upgrade.

i7-8700K seems a good choice, certainly one of the fastest and best, and not the most expensive one ($300-$400).

You can also get the Ryzen, for the price of 8700K you can get 1800X. The performance better the two is similar but 8700K is good in overclocking.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,159 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:28 AM

You weaited too long to update.

Yopu should have done something last year as this year PC building is a BAAAD idea

High GPU prices thanks to crypto miners (bitcoin) high RAM prices and shortages will make this the worst year for PC builders.

Try building something next year.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

Gold:   Sorry,  I didn't mean to be sarcastic, just realistic.  Why spend a bunch of money on a whole new unit when the present one may just need an upgrade of the offending part.

#12 Gold333

Gold333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:13 PM

Holy crap guys, I found the upgrade

i8700K

Asus Apex

whos with me?

#13 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:29 PM

Yes it's a good choice.  For pure gaming I still prefer the Intel route, although a 2700X is certainly competitive.  6 Cores / 12 Threads should be more than enough for gaming for the foreseeable future.  

7sbvuf-6.png

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

Yes it's a good choice.  For pure gaming I still prefer the Intel route, although a 2700X is certainly competitive.  6 Cores / 12 Threads should be more than enough for gaming for the foreseeable future.

I disagree. About only chance to survive 10 years with same "system" is to get at least 8 core Zen3 CPU somewhere around 2020. Zen3 should work on AM4 boards so only CPU change is required. In that case, Ryzen 5 2600X is good choice for CPU.

i7-8700K should be avoided on long term builds because future vulnerabilities may cause big performance penalty.

#15 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:47 AM

I thought you might :)  For what it's worth I think the premise of the question - parts for a gaming system to still be competitive in 10 years - is flawed, because who knows what the next 10 years will bring.  The best you can do is buy a system that comfortably does all you want it to now.  2008-2018 was slow in terms of CPU speed improvement, characterised by steady but small improvements every couple of years, and no real competition for Intel.  Contrast with the previous 10 where it went from 400 mhz PII's being the top of the line around 1998, to 3 Ghz quad cores in 2008.  Obviously GPU's improved by a far greater magnitude over that period.  The competition situation has now changed, I think which should be for the good.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users