Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DISM Error 0x800f0906 and 0x800f081f

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 akwon

akwon

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:39 PM

I'm running Windows 10 in Safe Mode without Networking - the only way I can get Windows to boot.

I'm assuming it's a problem with the system image since I can't get Windows to start up any other way. Possibly to do with the networking drivers??

The problem has been creeping up on me. Every time Windows 10 would ask to update (currently running 10.0.15063 170317-1834) and restart the update would freeze around 33-35%. I'd do a hard restart and Windows would boot up in ASO allowing me to roll back to the previous version. I didn't know what else to do since I couldn't get the update to go through and eventually Windows would force a restart. I'm now at the point where if I try to roll back to a previous version Windows loads to a black screen. If I try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking, same thing.

I've run the SFC diagnostics and the DISM diagnostics. No luck.

I downloaded a Windows ISO and extracted the install.wim to the C:\ drive and tried DISM RestoreHealth with and without Limited Access. I get the above error codes. 906 without Limited Access, 81f with Limited Access.

I attempted a regedit following instructions from this site: (https://www.kapilarya.com/dism-error-0x800f081f-the-source-files-could-not-be-found-windows-10)

I attempted manually fixing the corruptions following the instructions from this site: (https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-dism-error-0x800f0906-the-source-file-could-not-be-downloaded/)

This is a work computer and I really don't want to have to re-install Windows along with all the apps. Any help is appreciated.

**EDIT**: Should also note that any option I choose in the Advanced Startup Options that require selecting a user and entering the password do not work. As soon as I enter a keystroke the whole thing freezes.

Edited by akwon, 06 March 2018 - 07:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:47 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?  If this is a custom build please post the make and model of the motherboard.

Depending on the manufacturer there will be a F key (F11 or F12 usually) to open the Advanced Startup options.  Press the F key as soon as Windows starts to load, then select Startup Repair and allow the repair to run.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 akwon

akwon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for your response. It's now a moot point since I was forced to format the hard drive and re-install Windows 10.

Ran into some problems with the re-install as well. I had to delete all the partitions because the disk drive wasn't formatted for a clean Windows 10 Install. The machine was originally Windows 7. A Master Boot Record was found on the drive and Windows 10 requires a GPT partition. I suspect this is why I couldn't repair the system image using DISM with a Windows 10 ISO or install.wim.

FWIW, it's a desktop, Gateway (Acer OEM) DX4860. Couldn't pull a motherboard ID off the system information though. System Repair did not work from the Advanced Startup Options.

Hope this is of some help to someone else down the line.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:06 PM

Please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation of SeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

Cn0u1vP.png

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

irtNzsc.png

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 akwon

akwon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:15 PM

As this is a work computer I don't have time to sit and wait for a Long Generic HD test to complete.

The motherboard, pulled from Speccy is:

Motherboard
Gateway IPISB-VR (CPU 1): 
28 °C
Gateway IPISB-VR (CPU 1): 
28 °C

Thanks for the advice. Are you asking me to run these tests to try and diagnose the original problem? I may have been unclear: I installed a clean version of Windows 10 and have it running without any problems now on this machine. So the original issues have been resolved.

Edited by akwon, 09 March 2018 - 01:19 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:33 PM

Obviously work needs to come first.  Do what has been requested when you can and post the results.  I will catch this when I can.

Edited by dc3, 09 March 2018 - 01:43 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

Please note that I edited my previous post, you need to read this if you have not since I made the edit.

#8 akwon

akwon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for your assistance but I'd like to know why I'm providing this information or running these tests before publishing the Speccy results. I'm not comfortable with the amount of information they provide. I'm more than happy to share screenshots of what info you need. Do you suspect the hard drive has bad sectors?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:56 PM

If you ran the Speccy and saw the results without posting it online you will see content which is not included in the Speccy that is posted.  There isn't any personal information in this report.  The version you saw will include the product code for Windows, this is not included in the version which is posted.  The speccy provides information raging from component temperatures to the S.M.A.R.T. attributes for the mass storage device/s.  The information can be a great aide in determining just what is going on.  I've never requested a member use a tool which would produce information which should not be posted.

Below is the Speccy for one of my computers.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/BX6TLfeE7fLYiEOUXEzH88a

#10 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:01 PM

Here's a trick for formatting and initializing a hard drive, (in my opinion The best way)  

Powershell (as administrator)

1. Get-Disk 

2. Get-Disk 0 | Clear-Disk -RemoveData       (disk 0 is for example only. Whatever number drive it is....select that)

3. Initialize-Disk 0

4. New-Partition -DiskNumber 0 -UseMaximumSize | Format-Volume -FileSystem NTFS -NewFileSystemLabel Archive

5. Get-Partition -DiskNumber 0 | Set-Partition -NewDriveLetter Z           (Z is for example only change it to whatever suits you)

I use this method of cleaning my disks every time, now. I have had no problems doing it this way. 

Edited by Mason21, 09 March 2018 - 11:02 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

Or... you could just use a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke to completely overwrite the entire drive leaving you with a fresh slate to work with.  This is a free program.

Edited by dc3, 10 March 2018 - 09:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users