Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Error 0x80042110, + "Ghost" email

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BobG-6

BobG-6

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

OK so I have had my email account which was given to me back in 1992 hen I first signed up for DSL internet service with AT&T. I use Outlook 2010 for an email client and it has worked flawlessly for all these years. I have never had any issues until recently. . That is until mid January when I discovered that I was no longer receiving email I was receiving the following error:  

"Task 'xxxxxxxx@sbcglobal.net - Receiving' reported error (0x80042110) : 'Your POP3 server is providing inconsistent information. The number of messages returned by the STAT command does not match the number of items returned by the UIDL or LIST commands. Contact your POP3 or Internet service provider.'

Easy enough?.......NO Not at all!!!  I live in Connecticut and in Connecticut AT&T was bought out by Frontier Communications about 5 years ago. Therefore Frontier was my first choice for support. Unfortunately they told me that I would need to contact AT&T because Frontier did not have access to the AT&T servers. So I called AT&T and got lost in their answering machine jungle. The first thing they asked was my phone number which, of course, was no longer attached to an AT&T account. Therefore I was told that it would cost me $15 a month for 12 months if I wanted support. However after balking at that figure i managed to negotiate a one time charge for a single event of $49 which was quite expensive but I figured if it would fix my email problem it was worth it. The technicians at AT&T connected to my computer remotely and determined that my Outlook settings were correct. and Witnesses the problem that I was having. They agreed with me that it appeared to be an issue on the server and NOT on my PC. They then said that the server was actually a Yahoo server and I needed to contact them. However since my address is a sbcglobal address I contacted sbcglobal and they accessed my computer remotely and told be that my computer was infected with a virus and they wanted to install a ton of antivirus software before doing anything. Yahoo was my next attempt but they told me that due to Contractual restrictions they were not allowed to work on the AT&T servers. So again I contacted AT&T about an hour ago and they told me that I needed to contact Frontier.......Right back where this trip began!

Meanwhile I have not received any email in my Outlook client since January 18. I have logged into my Web Mail interface and created a new folder named "Saved Mail" and copied anything from my inbox that I wanted to save. and deleted everything else and emptied my Spam Folder and deleted items folder. My inbox is empty but still shows that there is (1) message in it and THAT is where the problem is, and the reason I am receiving the error.

Other that calling the tech support people mentioned above I have changed my connection to the server from POP3 to IMAP but that did not help I even setup a brand new Windows 7 PC with a fresh install of Outlook 2010 but I get the identical error. I am at the end of my rope. Does anyone know who I can contact for help? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for letting me vent,

BobG-6

Edited by hamluis, 06 March 2018 - 04:58 PM.
Moved from Gen Chat to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Welephant

Welephant

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:51 PM

You are not alone I too have had the problem with Outlook 2013 which has been running without fault like yours for donkeys years on my WIN10 Dell laptop. Suddenly it stopped synchronisation of my inbox a week ago (IMAP). I am with BT in the UK and before I tried their offshore help desk I checked everything was still correct as per BT online settings - User Name, Password, Incoming Mail address, Outgoing Mail address, Port numbers etc. Yep all good no change. 

The Webmail is ok and working so is my iPhone mail. I changed my password as suggested but hey that didn't work either and I knew it wouldn't but at least I was ready now to tackle the Mumbai people. Interestingly enough Outlook is sending ok it's just not receiving. Like you when I finally went to the provider I got no help just a curt "Sorry we can only help you with the "web service" you need to contact "Outlook". What I have found is that running Outlook on another WIN10 PC and using exactly the same settings everything is working fine so I now have a mirror image of what is held on the mail server. The difference between the laptop and the PC is the lap top is running McAfee and the PC is using Microsoft Defender. I suspect McAfee is the culprit as this and another issue with Chrome manifested post a McAfee upgrade. I've checked the firewall settings for Outlook and it looks fine however even when I turn off the firewall and try Outlook no difference so this remains a mystery for the moment.

My plan now is to delete my mail account from outlook. As a precaution I have exported all the mail folders to a PST backup file on the hard drive which if need be I can recover any mail up until Outlook stopped synchronising on the lap top.

I'm sorry I can't give you a solid answer however at least you know someone else is having issues. I'll come back and post what occurred when I deleted the account and then tried a reinstall on Outlook.

#3 BobG-6

BobG-6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:52 AM

Thank you for your response. We are definitely not alone. I have checked the AT&T forum and Yahoo forum and found several other people with the exact same issue. One user mentioned that he was told to change his connection from POP3 to IMAP and when it synchronizes it will clean up the "Ghost" email that is in your webmail inbox. I tried that and all I got were new errors saying "failed to update headers" so I changed the connection back ti POP3. This has been going on since January 18th and I am totally frustrated. I have had this email account since 1992 and it has worked perfectly "Forever" I was hoping that by posting something here I might be able to get a number to someone who manages the server but I don't know if that will ever happen. When I contacted AT&T tech support in early February, the technician connected to my computer remotely and checked all of my Outlook settings and concluded that the settings were, and are, correct. He said "This looks like a server issue". I said Yes, I've been telling you that all along. Then he said that It was a "Free" Yahoo email account and that I needed to contact Yahoo for help, but he never gave me any contact information. However what I did next was get another machine and installed Windows 7 on it then MS Office 2010 configured it to connect to the email server and received the Identical error message. That tells me that there isn't anything wrong with my PC and the problem is on the server. Today I talked to the AT&T technician and she said that it is a "Known problem on the server and they are working to fix it"  Then I asked to speak to her supervisor because it has been broken since at least January 18th and I commented that 45 days to fix it was not acceptable, and that is when she told me that I needed to contact Frontier Communications. I am beside myself dealing with this and will wait until tomorrow before calling Frontier because I already know what they will tell me and I am not in the mood to listen to their BS. Why can't they just give me the number to someone on the server team it would be sooooooo much easier. they just keep pointing fingers at one company to another and meanwhile nothing gets done and the customer just gets frustrated.

#4 Welephant

Welephant

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:51 PM

Pity setting up on another PC did not give a positive result however whilst it seems to imply a server issue it still may not be the case.

The good news is my delete and reinstall WORKED!!!

Interestingly the settings Outlook used where exactly the same as I had when it would not work so it really is a mystery!

My BT mail account is also provided by Yahoo. This link is from the Yahoo help section for their IMAP settings (Which are the same as BT so I’m guessing the same for AT&T). The only difference is the mail server address is for Yahoo direct. Just a thought but try using the Yahoo set up to see if Outlook finds your email before you try the route below. 

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4075.html

I've found I can access my BT webmail through other Yahoo providers sites so it might work for IMAP/Outlook. If it doesn't here is the method I used to delete and reinstall. I'm using Outlook 2013 however the instructions below are for your Outlook 2010.

Apologies I suspect you already know most if not all of this. 

Step 1.  Create a backup PST file

Extracted from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/287070/how-to-manage-pst-files-in-microsoft-outlook

In Outlook 2010:

Follow these steps to export a specific folder:

1. Click the File tab.
  2. In the Outlook Options window, click Advanced.
  3. Click Export.
  4. In the Import and Export Wizard, click Export to a file, and then click Next.
  5. Click Outlook Data File (.pst), and then click Next.
  6. Select the folder to export, and then click Next.

(Note from me: If you want to save everything click on and highlight your email address which will be also be shown. Leave the “include subfolders” box checked.)

1. Click Browse, and then select the location where you want the new .pst file to be saved.
  2. In the File Name box, type the name that you want to use for the new .pst file, and then click OK.
  3. Click Finish.

You now have a copy of all folders in outlook so if all fails you can reinstall the PST file back into Outlook. The steps on how to do this are in the same Microsoft document as step 1 above : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/287070/how-to-manage-pst-files-in-microsoft-outlook

Step 2.  Deleting your email account from Outlook 10

Before you do this make a note of your  current settings for your account User name, password, incoming mail address/outgoing mail address, incoming port number/outgoing port number etc. applicable to your mail provider. Most providers have now moved to IMAP rather than POP3 so when you reinstall your email I suggest IMAP is the preferred way to now go. If all goes well you can see if they are the same ones Outlook uses when your mail account is reinstalled.

Extracted from https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Remove-or-delete-an-email-account-from-Outlook-1fa900ae-6dc8-468c-b754-10292f7ee47a

1.       From the main Outlook window, select File in the upper left corner of the screen.

2.       Select Account Settings > Account Settings.

3.       Select the account you want to delete, then select Remove.

4.       You'll see a message warning you that all offline cached content for this account will be deleted. This only affects content downloaded and stored on your computer. (You have a PST back up so not a problem)

Select Yes to confirm.

Step 3. Add your email account.

1.       From the main Outlook window, select File in the upper left corner of the screen.

2.       Select Account Settings > Account Settings.

3.       Select New.

4.       Auto Account Setup Panel select Email account (Important do not select manual we will let Outlook hunt the Web for you)

Enter the "required name", "email address" and "password" and then click on "Next"

·         Now the process gets started and Outlook will look for your account and server.

·         When the process is completed click on "Finish" button and "email account" gets added in Outlook.

If your email address does not get found you will need to take the manual option and fill in the details. Obvious I know but just make sure you have the correct server settings for your email provider.

I hope it works for you. It remains a mystery as to what causes the problem in the first place but sometimes as the last resort doing a complete refresh does the trick.

#5 Welephant

Welephant

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:10 PM

Post scrip. 

Ignore the Yahoo IMAP suggestion does not work. Just use your providers server address and IMAP port settings if you have to. I'm hopping you won't need to if Outlook finds your email when reinstalling thereby avoiding a manual set up. 

#6 BobG-6

BobG-6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

Thank you for the update, I will try what you suggested later on today. Unfortunately I have some major snow shoveling to do today so I won't have time until later on. We had a late winter snow storm last night and I have a foot of heavy snow to get out of my driveway before I do anything else.

Having said that, last night for some unknown reason Outlook started to receive email again as normal. When I woke up this morning I had 19 new email messages in my Outlook inbox. Unfortunately it was short lived because I am now back to the error message again this morning. I'm going to try what you suggested later on today and I will let you know how I make out. It is odd because that is basically what I did when I set up my new computer. However, having managed a computer network for the final 25 years of my working career I have learned to expect the unexpected when working with PCs. :-)

#7 BobG-6

BobG-6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:41 PM

First if all I want to thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. OK, so I followed your suggestion to the letter. However when I removed my original account I never received a warning about my Cached content being deleted. When I created my new account I let the system contact my email server automatically, which it did but all of the data was incorrect so I had to go back and configure everything manually. Anyway, after I was done I clicked on the "Test Settings" button and everything completed successfully. However the account that was created was the same name as my original with a "(1)" after it, which might be because the cached data was never deleted. One more thing I could not remove my original Data (pst file). When I tried to do that Outlook would not let me. It said that I couldn't delete the default data file. So I then added the backup file that I had made and made that my default data file and tried to delete the original and was told that it was transferring data from the original .pst file to the backed up  .pst. So basically I am back to square one because I am still receiving the same error message that I was before. 

Thanks Again,

BobG-6

#8 Welephant

Welephant

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:27 PM

Sorry I've been off line a while. I think you got half way to resolution and the reintroduction of your saved .pst file brought the problem back into play. Whilst I never found the actual root cause I suspect it is something to do with an email in the inbox that causes this problem. I do recall that when I went to delete my email box from Outlook it did request I create another data file as a default for emails which I did before it would allow me to delete the old one.

I then deleted the old email account and associated data file which outlook allowed me to do and kept the new as the default. I then went to add my email again using add email account as described above and outlook set this up and down loaded everything from the mail server. I never installed anything back from the original .PST backup file I simply allowed Outlook to download what was on the server which of course was everything up to the point of failure plus all the new messages I could not get downloaded previously. 

The back up of the .PST file is simply a fall back point to access your old messages. One you have a new clean download from the server the old .PST can be deleted particularly if it may introduce the problem as you found when reinstalling its contents again.

I'm not sure why Outlook could not automatically find and set up your email however you did get through manually. The (1) is probably because your original email address was recognised by Outlook and it simply created the new one as incremental. I suspect that if you stopped at that point Outlook would have down loaded from the server all your messages. Try things again and see if it does. If it does you will then you will probably see two email accounts set up in the LHS Pane you can then delete the original as it is no longer required and rename the (1) back to what you want. 

I think its fair to say allowing the original .PST file back into outlook brings the problem back in. As for the Cashed data etc. don't worry if it goes because the clean download from your mail server will put everything back.

#9 BobG-6

BobG-6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:21 PM

Thanks again for your response. I will give your suggestions a try this weekend and will get back to you with my results. I wonder why it didn't work when I did a fresh install of Outlook on a completely different, brand new, Windows 7 PC?

Another weird thing that I never mentioned is that since this whole problem started back in January, is about once every few weeks, for no reason at all, it will start to work properly and continue to work for several hours maybe even a full day and then just as quickly it will stop working again. I am pretty well convinced myself that there is an issue with my mailbox on the server but I am willing to try ANYTHING to fix it. This has been going on for over 3 months and I am very frustrated. Thank you again I will get back to you.

BobG-6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users