Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Go Wireless? But Can I?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mahtthue

Mahtthue

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:51 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 Laptop. It's kind of old, but it's been updated quite a few times. I recently moved away from my parents and in with my brother. However, I had to leave the wireless router behind. How do I know if the adapter that I already have will work with other routers?

The adapter I have is a 2WIRE 802.11g PC Card Wireless Adapter

How can I find out what routers will be compatible with this adapter so I can get back to the net on my laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mvs

mvs

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:34 AM

^ Any DSL wireless Router should work for your
Laptop . it can be Linksys / Netgear / D-Link ...
Lets Quote Only the relevant parts of Previous Posts

#3 Mahtthue

Mahtthue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

Thanks. I'd like to hear from a staff member too if thats possible. It's not an internal wireless reciever. It's an adapter. I just want to know if my 2WIRE card will work with other brands.
Thanks

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:28 PM

Since you have an 802.11g wireless card, you'll need an 802.11g compatible wireless router.

Also, generally the g specification is downwards compatible with the earlier specifications (such as "a" and "b").
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Mahtthue

Mahtthue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:31 PM

802.11g is the bandwidth, so theoretically, anything that puts out that bandwidth, the card will pick up. I'm guessing?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:29 PM

I am not sure if the "G" is the bandwidth or not but an 802.11G Wireless Adapter should work with any 802.11G router.

Try the adapter in a hotspot to make sure it works.

You need to consider a few things as to which router you should get though - things such as are there obstructions, how far away from the router you will be.

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 October 2006 - 05:32 PM.

#7 Mahtthue

Mahtthue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:57 PM

Sweet. I'll check it out. Thanks. All of you.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:27 AM

My wife has a NetGear wireless router at her office and it goes through the concrete block walls there without a problem.

The "G" is a specification and isn't related to bandwidth. It describes the standard that's used to communicate with the other devices. Generally, the higher the letter, the more advanced the connection (and they're usually backwards compatible with the lower letters). But more advanced doesn't necessarily mean more bandwidth.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users