Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I have two routers off the same modem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Scooterspal

Scooterspal

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:24 AM

Hello and thanks for any help you can provide.

I have a Netgear cable modem that has two yellow network outputs. I have one connected to a Netgear 16 port Gigabit switch/router.

I need to connect several other devices to the network located in another part of my house/office. I'd like to do that without running a half dozen cat5 cables back to this router.

I have another Netgear 8 port switch available. Can I connect that via that second yellow network output on the router and have these other remote devices running off my network?

If so, is it just a matter of making the connections or do I need to access the modem setup screen?

Thanks!

Edited by Scooterspal, 06 March 2018 - 10:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

The title of the thread is a bit misleading. You have one router and want to run multiple switches. No problem. And no, you won't have to make any changes. Just run an ethernet cable to the switch(es) and then cables from the switch(es) to the new devices. I have about 5 or 6 switches connected to my router, each with multiple devices connected.

#3 Scooterspal

Scooterspal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:16 AM

Hey, thanks.

Sorry about the incorrect working in the title.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

No problem - and you're welcome :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users