Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-aware Se And Quarantined Items

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hippeechic

hippeechic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:41 PM

HELP!

I accidentally approved some things be removed off my computer that I needed.
They were all quarantined and not deleted, so that's good (I guess) and when I
went into the quarantine file log, it gave me an option to restore the items removed, but
now that I have done that, I can't figure out how to find them. Where does it restore them
to?
Please help... anyone.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:46 PM

Hi Hippeechic, restore means just that. The items that were in quarantine should now be wherever they were before being quarantined. Maybe you need to reboot.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:13 AM

At the same time, remember that you may have restored not only the things you quarantined by mistake, but also those you quarantined correctly. If this is the case, be sure to re-run Ad-Aware so it can get rid of the legitimate problems.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 hippeechic

hippeechic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:26 AM

First, let me say thank you for the responses and input. It is definitely appreciated.
With that being said.... I thought the same thing also... that they should be in the files where they were before... they're not :thumbsup: and I have rebooted. I even tried restoring my computer back to a date previous to this and it only lets me go back to July 6th and I think they were removed back in April.
Any other suggestions????

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,713 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:15 PM

What kinds of things? System files? Files for software programs? There are different approaches that might solve the problem depending on exactly what files have been lost.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:19 PM

If you think you have exhausted all possibilities of search using file names, file types, certain words, etc., there is a way to view files that are deleted. There are several free and commercial recovery programs that will recover deleted files from your harddrive. Assuming they have not been overwritten. Here is one such program:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/filerecovery.html

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,713 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:51 PM

I'd try that if they are files that were composed such as pictures, e-mail, word documents. However, if they are system files, driver files etc. there are methods for replacing the files without retrieving a possibly damaged file from the hard-drive. That is why we need to know what kind of files were lost.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 SpiritWind

SpiritWind

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:43 PM

:thumbsup: You should be asking for help on one of the Ad-Aware oriented forums, such as :
www.landzdown.com or www.lavasoftsupport.com .

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,713 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:00 AM

At this point, AdAware doesn't come into it. The files in AdAware's quarantine have been restored but apparently not to their original locations. Now it is a matter of either finding or replacing the files on the computer.

Analogy: I took stuff out of the safety deposit and can't find it. At this point, I don't contact the bank: instead I clean the house, the car, and the yard until I find my missing stuff. :thumbsup:

hippeechic: Eagerly awaiting your response detailing the types of files that cannot be found so that we can help you get things fixed.

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 October 2006 - 01:01 AM.

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users