Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-Activate Windows 7 Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:01 PM

I have a friend that gave me their old Dell Inspiron Computer Tower with Windows 7 activated on the computer.  The hard drive worked for awhile but no matter how much I did to correct problems I was forced to accept that the hard drive failed.  It was an activated Windows 7 installation.

I've purchased a new hard drive and wish to install Windows 7 on the computer.  What are my options for using the activation code that is listed on the tower with the new hard drive.  I would think it should be able to be done but not sure if it would be accepted.  I know I could contact Microsoft through the activation process and explain what had happened. 

Please let me know at your earliest convenience.  Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

You can activate the key on the COA sticker doing a phone activation. You will need a Windows 7 install disk of the same version. If you have an install disk of Windows 7 but it is not the same version as what is on the COA sticker there is a way to alter the contents of the DVD where it will present you with a selection of all Windows version.

All versions of Windows 7 are on the install DVD. The file that determines which version is offered is the ei.cfg file in sources.

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:16 AM

Yes - All versions of Windows 7 are on the install DVD. The file that determines which version is offered is the ei.cfg file in sources but the fact is that most folks and especially OEM system owners do not have a genuine bootable Windows 7 installation CD/DVD and another fact is that you will not be downloading one from Microsoft with an OEM Product Key.

The COA sticker and 25 character Product Key that came with the Dell tell you what Edition (Home, Pro, etc.) of Windows is tied to that piece of hardware.

If you are not sure visit the Dell WWW site and enter the Service Tag number to see what came from the factory with the unit.

You will not be able to download any Windows 7 installation ISO from the Microsoft site with an OEM (Dell, HP, etc.) product key but you can sure give it a try and find out yourself that it will not work.

If you don't have or can't find any installation media, click my profile and message me and I will help you get any installation ISO you need - everybody should have some installation media handy and you are unlikely to get it from Dell but you can sure try.  With me, there is no trying - only doing.

After obtaining the matching Windows 7 installation media and performing a clean install, visit the Dell Support site (with the Service Tag) download/install drivers (chipset, video, audio, network), etc.

After you have installed the Dell drivers allowing you to get on the Internet the unit should not have any problem activating right away.

If there is a problem activating do this:

Click the Start button/orb and in the box enter:

slui  4

Choose your nearest country (United States in the example), call the toll-free number to speak to a human being:

[attachment=202739:1.jpg]

Don't press any keys on your phone, don't respond to any voice prompts, just wait, wait, wait and you will be connected to a human being.

Explain your situation and they should help you.

If they don't help or can't help just hang up and call back again and the chances are good that you will talk to a different person and eventually you should find some nice person that will help you.

Edited by joseibarra, 06 March 2018 - 06:36 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:19 AM

Thank you for your assistance. I believe information you gave me who is certainly help me to install an activate this Windows 7 program on my computer. Much thanks !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users