Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Nightmare of Skype

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:59 PM

Update - the link on Bleeping doesn't work. MS is blocking that TOO saying it can't install, & then sends me to their page to DL the app. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

So I won't go into a rant about how much I despise MS, but you get it (I hope).

After weeks of dealing with them FORCING me to use their terrible Skype app & then them removing the Skype classic from their drop down menu & NOW removing it from their servers entirely, someone gave me Bleeping's page to DL it.

I've been directing other furious people to that page as well.

I probably should have asked this weeks ago, but how can I STOP MS from FORCING their app onto me every time I restart?

Please don't tell me to change the settings in my preferences not to update, it's been set to that for weeks & it doesn't work.

MS STILL overrides what I WANT for my computer & forces their app on me so I have to waste time every time I reboot.

Thanks

Edited by ep2002, 05 March 2018 - 04:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:32 PM

Hallo, ep2002.

It's the old chicken & egg thing, ain't it? You really hate having to use Skype....but you're stuck with it, 'cos everybody you know uses it too!

Personally, I gave MyCrudSoft's pitiful excuse for what used to be a halfway decent app the 'two fingers' quite some time ago. I now use an app called WIRE, by a Swiss firm called WireGmbH. A clean, minimalist interface (still with everything you need); video and chats/calling.....and end-to-end encryption, too. If anyone is fanatical about security & privacy, it's the Swiss! And the source code, etc., is regularly audited as well.....ensuring complete transparency.

https://wire.com/en/

There's plenty of choice out there now. One thing about M$'s messing around with Skype; it's triggered an explosion of development. This might give you some idea of what's available:-

https://beebom.com/skype-alternatives-2014/

The only problem you then face is that of persuading folks who've only ever known Skype to try something different. Probably the easiest one to start with is Google's Hangouts; web-based (so platform-agnostic), and all you need is to use the Chrome browser, and sign up for a free GMail a/c. Couldn't be simpler. Video and audio quality are superior to Skype, too!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 March 2018 - 05:35 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:33 PM

Hi Mike,

I wanted to thank you, but I don't see a t/y button :(

Thanks for the list.

I don't want to have to pay for anything & neither will anyone else unless they are running a business, but I did reach out to one of them since some don't even have a PC version which is nuts.

Some are already gone from that list & Vimeo is terrible. I tried it back in 2014 & I couldn't hear the other person nor could I answer the phone.

Since I posted this I found out (get this) that I can STILL use the old version of SK.

I had it set up on my desktop (code of some sort) where I could launch more than one SK handle at the same time (I have several.)

When SK first started forcing me to use their app, the code wouldn't work.

Just by happenstance, I decided to click on one of my handles while the new version was up & running & they WORKED. Why I don't know, but I'm not going to complain.

I went thru the new app in detail which I didn't do before & they really did remove a lot of settings which is idiotic. Not to mention they combine all of your calls with your contact list so instead of seeing a short list of contacts, you have this HUGE list of called intermingled with your list so it's hard to find anyone.

And the look of it that makes it harder for me to see (too light & smaller font & before you could change the font size, now you can't).

And of course you are right, most people don't want to switch from SK since they have been using it for years.

What's even more odd, is that my other computer can STILL use the old SK. No matter how many times I restart, it still comes up.

This tells me that MS is rolling it out slowly, but now that they removed it from their server, how is it now that the entire WORLD isn't bleeping?

Very strange.

I have done searches on this issue for the last month & there's been NOTHING coming up in G, unless G is blocking them. In fact, the ONLY place people are fuming is on MS's community area which I normally won't go on to, but for this I have.

Since G has started striking & deleting a lot of alternative news channels & now this with MS, I don't trust EITHER of them. They are up to something, we will just have to wait & see.

Hallo, ep2002.

It's the old chicken & egg thing, ain't it? You really hate having to use Skype....but you're stuck with it, 'cos everybody you know uses it too!

Personally, I gave MyCrudSoft's pitiful excuse for what used to be a halfway decent app the 'two fingers' quite some time ago. I now use an app called WIRE, by a Swiss firm called WireGmbH. A clean, minimalist interface (still with everything you need); video and chats/calling.....and end-to-end encryption, too. If anyone is fanatical about security & privacy, it's the Swiss! And the source code, etc., is regularly audited as well.....ensuring complete transparency.

https://wire.com/en/

There's plenty of choice out there now. One thing about M$'s messing around with Skype; it's triggered an explosion of development. This might give you some idea of what's available:-

https://beebom.com/skype-alternatives-2014/

The only problem you then face is that of persuading folks who've only ever known Skype to try something different. Probably the easiest one to start with is Google's Hangouts; web-based (so platform-agnostic), and all you need is to use the Chrome browser, and sign up for a free GMail a/c. Couldn't be simpler. Video and audio quality are superior to Skype, too!

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:34 AM

Hi, ep2002.

It's funny you should say about the older versions. I run Puppy Linux, exclusively; for years, the old Skype client (4.3.0.37) worked very well. In July last year, after years of not developing it, they finally dropped support for it. They did, however, start testing a new Linux version; firstly an 'alpha', followed by a 'beta' version.

It was horrible.  Not a patch on the old one for functionality; video calls no longer worked, and since M$ were updating it every few days, half the time it simply didn't work at all. Plus, they've gone 64-bit only.....so now, most of my 'Puppies' will no longer run it, being 32-bit...  :rolleyes:

The web version is passable (platform-agnostic, as long as you run an up-to-date browser), but I'm not really 'sold' on it. I don't like Skype since M$ took the reins, and moved from the old 'peer-to-peer' model to a cloud-based client/server model; it's why I switched to WIRE.

In recent weeks, one of our Puppy Forum members has come up with a very simple solution to all this; a single, short line of code which fools Skype into thinking it's a much later version than it really is. The current, '8-series' Skypes are what's supported at present, so.....my old 4.3.0.37 now thinks it's version 8.3.0.37 instead. And it's working again.

Which is handy; not because I particularly want it myself, but it's there for the rest of my family/friends who won't use anything else.....

Sod's law, ain't it?  :lmao: All that aggravation for months on end.....and a single, short line of code, entered through the terminal (just once):-

sed -i 's/4\.3\.0\.37/8\.3\.0\.37/' /usr/share/skype/skype

....'fixed' it..!  :)

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 06 March 2018 - 07:41 AM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

Hi Mike,

Where exactly do you put the code?

My version isn't nearly as old as yours. It's the version just before this APP version, so I don't know if that will work.

Hi, ep2002.

It's funny you should say about the older versions. I run Puppy Linux, exclusively; for years, the old Skype client (4.3.0.37) worked very well. In July last year, after years of not developing it, they finally dropped support for it. They did, however, start testing a new Linux version; firstly an 'alpha', followed by a 'beta' version.

It was horrible.  Not a patch on the old one for functionality; video calls no longer worked, and since M$ were updating it every few days, half the time it simply didn't work at all. Plus, they've gone 64-bit only.....so now, most of my 'Puppies' will no longer run it, being 32-bit...  :rolleyes:

The web version is passable (platform-agnostic, as long as you run an up-to-date browser), but I'm not really 'sold' on it. I don't like Skype since M$ took the reins, and moved from the old 'peer-to-peer' model to a cloud-based client/server model; it's why I switched to WIRE.

In recent weeks, one of our Puppy Forum members has come up with a very simple solution to all this; a single, short line of code which fools Skype into thinking it's a much later version than it really is. The current, '8-series' Skypes are what's supported at present, so.....my old 4.3.0.37 now thinks it's version 8.3.0.37 instead. And it's working again.

Which is handy; not because I particularly want it myself, but it's there for the rest of my family/friends who won't use anything else.....

Sod's law, ain't it?  :lmao: All that aggravation for months on end.....and a single, short line of code, entered through the terminal (just once):-

sed -i 's/4\.3\.0\.37/8\.3\.0\.37/' /usr/share/skype/skype

....'fixed' it..!  :)

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:13 PM

TBH, that command wouldn't work for you. It's a Linux command; Windows wouldn't even recognise it!

On top of which, since I haven't used Windows for some years, I wouldn't even know where to start...

Sorry about that. 'Twas merely an illustration that there's always workarounds for most computer problems, if you're persistent, AND have some idea of what you're doing.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:34 PM

Oh, lucky you & Linux.

I wanted to switch years ago, but was too scared there'd be a program down the line I wouldn't be able to use. <sigh>

TBH, that command wouldn't work for you. It's a Linux command; Windows wouldn't even recognise it!

On top of which, since I haven't used Windows for some years, I wouldn't even know where to start...

Sorry about that. 'Twas merely an illustration that there's always workarounds for most computer problems, if you're persistent, AND have some idea of what you're doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users