Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My book external drive 4tb want to use other drives using the external adapter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 killa31

killa31

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:04 PM

I took apart my 4tb drive so I could be able to use some of my other drives that I have laying around and am not able to store inside my pc. I wanted to use it as a source to connect them to the pc using the adapter inside the MYbook but it keeps giving me errors and not finding anything in my disk managment. Im using Windows 10.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killa31

killa31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:56 PM

When I go to disk managment with another drive on the adapter it tells me that I need to make a GPT or MBR. Making it MBR it states "The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error" and GPT its telling me its below the minimum size requirements.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:51 PM

My suggestion would be to...reverse the changes you made.

Louis

#4 killa31

killa31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:15 AM

LOL well thats easy. Im just asking if there is a way I can use it to power and read my other drives. It still works with the 4tb drive when I hook it up.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:45 AM

Because it's a proprietary drive (WD)...sold by WD, made by WD, in a WD-developed enclosure...I would not expect to be able to use it as I would be able to use a simple generic dock/enclosure.

I really don't understand the question...maybe someone else here can give you answers that make more sense than mine does.

Louis

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:18 AM

Agree with hamluis. You can't expect a WD MyBook drive enclosure to support anything other than the drive with which it originally shipped. You can get very good hd enclosures / docking stations at reasonable prices. For example, I have a few of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LS5NFQ2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users