Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4K Monitor Worse than HDTV

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jimlau

jimlau

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

Just got a 4K monitor, LG 27UD58P-B 27” IPS.  When I use my computer to output a signal resolution of 1080p,  my 5 year old Samsung HDTV (I use it as a monitor) is vastly superior in color. Is that to be expected?

In 4K the monitor does look pretty good. I can sit close to it to take advantage of the 4K.

But are monitors not expected to be as good as TVs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:45 PM

FWIW.

Louis

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:47 PM

is your computer's video card a 4k card? and is it set to output 4k?

#4 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:50 PM

yes, it's set to 4K, as the screen shrinks way down as compared to the 1080p screen.  using a DP cable.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,276 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

The issue comes from display type, if its a TN panel for example it will not look as good as a IPS or a VA TV.

Granted not all TN panels are bad (my monitor is a TN panel) but color reproduction tends to be a bit of a weakness on them.

And 4K isn't a guarentee for better picture quality, its a resolution not a determination of how good it will look.

I have seen 1080p look better than 4k plenty of times thanks to this factor, companies sacrificing color quality for 4K resolution as 4K technology is still every expensive.

Even IPS displays can be made to be cheap by disabling features like color correction, its all about marketing really.

Thats all 4K is in the end, its a marketing ploy right now until it becomes a standard.

Edited by MadmanRB, 07 March 2018 - 05:59 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:52 PM

How exactly is vastly superior in color defined?  Is it a question of colour accuracy or just an overall impression?  I think some TV's ship with "dynamic" picture settings as default which results in over saturated colours, which can make them look more vivid in an electrical showroom but not necessarily accurate.  Monitors on the other hand don't normally do this.  You can probably boost the colours in the monitors menu if that's what you want.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:27 AM

I have the 24 inch version of that model and the color accuracy is superb. IPS panels are known for their color accuracy. Perhaps your monitor isn't properly calibrated? Or maybe it's defective? 

Color accuracy is an objective measure. There's an actual mathematical formula for it. Unfortunately, as far as I know, you can't measure color accuracy without a spectrophotometer or calibration software. I would contact LG tech support and they may be able to give you the software needed to assess color accuracy. 

I think the settings on your TV are probably such that it looks better to your eye than your monitor when in reality your monitor is actually more accurate. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users