Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SFC Scannow for Linux Puppy tahrpup version 6.0.5

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DadaMan

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

Dear Friends,

Is there a way or lets say a need ever to Run sfc /scannow for or Linux?
I received a message the other day that suggested I run sfc..it's location and complete info came and went so fast I couldn't recall what it said or where to find it and run a scan.

Help or suggestions appreciated.

Sincerely, Raffaele

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 05 March 2018 - 07:11 PM.
Moved from General chat to Linux

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:57 PM

AFAIK, you only ever get this when you're dual-booting with Windows.

"sfc /scannow" is a Windows-only command. If Puppy has been installed frugally in a directory on the same partition as Windows, and detects that the NTFS filesystem has become fragmented, you will get that message at boot-time. You will also get this reminder if you're running Puppy from a USB drive plugged into what is essentially a Windows machine.....especially if you've saved anything to the hard drive. And Windows will also complain if it detects anything on the hard drive that it hasn't put there itself..!

When you install Puppy this way, you only get the option to create a save-file at first shutdown, since the save-file contains a complete Linux file-system inside it. The more recent save-folder won't work on top of an underlying NTFS file-system.

You have to boot into Windows, and run the /scannow command from the shell, as far as I'm aware. Others may be able to confirm or deny this.....the more so since I haven't used Windows for years.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 March 2018 - 09:07 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

#3 DadaMan

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:31 PM

Thank YOU Mike!

Sounds reasonable...

I'm not going to run Windoz sfc /scannow at this point. Puppy appears to be running fine.

Further, I'm not sure Windoz would run sfc /scannow with much good info as the hard drive as you know is not in the best of shape. Big part of the reason I initially got very interested in Linux/Puppy..It saved my life (sort of) and the life of the computer.

Cheers, Raffaele  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users