Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd issues - Is my laptop infected

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 dejvv

dejvv

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:05 AM

Hi 

I have been experiencing some issues with my laptop

- outlook 365 hanging all the time and cannot be used

- system restore found it disabled and when enabling it I am getting error "the filename directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect"

- When browsing using chrome I am getting a lot the below error:

Bad Request - Request Too Long

HTTP Error 400. The size of the request headers is too long.

-------------------------------------

Tried uninstalling office and reinstalling - same issue

SFC / scan now didnt find any issues

Malwarebytes and Sophos  didnt find anything

Ran CCcleaner

Attached please find the log files.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 polskamachina

polskamachina

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:02 PM

Hi dejvv :)
My name is polskamachina and I would like to :welcome: you to the Malware Removal Forum. I will be helping you with your malware issues.

What follows below are some ground rules for this forum.

I will reply as soon as possible (typically within 24-48 hours). In turn, I ask that you please respond within 72 hours. If you know you will be away longer than that, please let me know. I am in California at GMT-8 hours (Pacific Standard Time). If I do not respond to you within 48 hours, feel free to send me a private message.

Some points for you to keep in mind:

• Do NOT run any tools unless instructed to do so.
  • We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine. Running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, cause unforeseen damage, or system instability.
  • Do not attach logs or use code boxes, just copy and paste the text into your replies to me.
  • I cannot see your computer. Periodically update me on the condition of your computer, and provide as much detail as you can in every post.
  • Once things seem to be working again, please do not abandon the thread. I will give an "all-clean" message at the very end.
  • NOTE: Backup any files that cannot be replaced. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this step can save a lot of heartaches if things don't go as planned. You can put them on a CD/DVD, external drive or a flash drive, anywhere except on the computer.
  • NOTE: It is good practice to copy and paste the instructions into notepad and print them in case it is necessary for you to go offline during the cleanup process. Please remember to copy the entire post so you do not miss any instructions.

Please give me some time to review your issues. In the meantime, please answer the following questions:

You said:

- outlook 365 hanging all the time and cannot be used

- system restore found it disabled and when enabling it I am getting error "the filename directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect"

- When browsing using chrome I am getting a lot the below error:

Bad Request - Request Too Long

What exactly is the it that system restore found disabled?

When does this error occur?

"the filename directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect,"

In summary:

• Please provide me with more information about your system restore problem and when you get the label syntax error.

Let me know if you have any questions.

polskamachina

#3 dejvv

dejvv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:00 AM

Hi, thanks for your reply.

After I had the outlook issues I tried to use the system restore and I found it switched off as per below screenshot. When I was selecting configure and turning it back on I was getting an error which is now seem to be working ( system restore is turned back on however I do not have any restore points to go back to) to try and solve my outlook issue.

image.jpg

The Chrome issue of getting the below error seemd to be solved after resetting chrome from the options.

ad Request - Request Too Long

Edited by dejvv, 06 March 2018 - 02:02 AM.

#4 polskamachina

polskamachina

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,993 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:18 AM

Thank you for providing the specific details. As I see things now, the remaining problem is that your Outlook is still nonfunctional is that correct?

Are you still receiving this error?

If so, when does the error appear?

polskamachina

#5 dejvv

dejvv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:37 PM

Thank you for providing the specific details. As I see things now, the remaining problem is that your Outlook is still nonfunctional is that correct?

Are you still receiving this error?

If so, when does the error appear?

polskamachina

I was getting that error when I tried enabling the system restore - this is now sorted

My issue with outlook 365 is that after opening it 

- if I continue using outlook with the inbox folder selected it works ok

- as soon as I either click on any other folder or change to outlook calendar outlook becomes not responding and has to be closed.

#6 polskamachina

polskamachina

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,993 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:08 PM

HI dejvv :)

Thanks again for the details. Now I can focus my attention on those problems.

polskamachina

#7 dejvv

dejvv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:39 AM

thanks. 

I also tried the below however still has the outlook issue.

booted into windows, inserted windows 7 cd, reinstalled windows without loosing any data(upgrade method) installed all updates but I still have same outlook issue.

Edited by dejvv, 07 March 2018 - 04:05 AM.

#8 polskamachina

polskamachina

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,993 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:59 AM

If you performed a reinstallation/upgrade since your last communication with me, then we will have to start with a fresh FRST scan. Fortunately we hadn't commenced with the cleanup yet but the rules I outlined when I introduced myself to you need to be followed:

• Do NOT run any tools unless instructed to do so.
  • We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine. Running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, cause unforeseen damage, or system instability.

Please download the 64-bit version of the  Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

• Right-click FRST then click Run as administrator
  • When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • Please copy and paste the FRST and Addition logs into your next reply to me
  • May I still assume that your Outlook issue is still the only remaining issue? 

polskamachina

#9 polskamachina

polskamachina

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,993 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:26 PM

It's been a while since you've checked in. Did you need any more help with this? If not, this topic will be closed in 48 hours.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

polskamachina

#10 polskamachina

polskamachina

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,993 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:05 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users