Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Engine Changing?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:40 AM

I'm not sure if I'm infected but it keeps happening so I figured I would try to find out. I use FireFox and ever so often the search engine would change from what I have it set to, which is Duck Duck Go. Normally it changes to Yahoo, but this time it changed to google. Not sure if that makes a difference but there it is. I use Free Avast and Malwarebytes. I have not installed anything new recently. Is this just an annoyance or something worse?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:19 AM

Free Avast may be one of the problems. Suggest you disable/ delete Firefox extensions mentioning such as Search protect or Avast.

Use the programs below to clean and remove adware.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of Google Chrome and Avast.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop. (compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 10)

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:05 AM

Ok so here is what I've come up with;

the only Avast add on is Avast Online Security, I see a search engine results but not search protect, not sure if its the same thing with different wording or not.

Ran CCleaner

Ran adwcleaner and found a problem. Says Pup.optional.legacy was found but when I try to clean it I get a pop up that says; ***Caught unhandled unknown exception; terminating. and then the program freezes and wont do anything.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,395 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:26 AM

Disable both of those Avast extensions. For more info read Don’t Use Your Antivirus’ Browser Extensions: They Can Actually Make You Less Safe

Run AdwCleaner in Safe Mode with networking.

Be a good idea to run a scan using Avast while in Safe Mode, too.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

adwcleaner came a-crossed the same problem in safe mode.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,395 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:51 AM

Open AdwCleaner and choose Uninstall. Then reinstall. You can do this in either safe mode or regular mode. It is a

problem with AdwCleaner and it has happened before. If you get the same results just forgo scanning with AdwCleaner until

it is updated....when that will be...I don't know.

Would like to hear from you after you have determined that the search engine isn't being changed anymore or if it continues to

after you have disabled those extensions.

#7 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:14 PM

I have disabled any browser extension/plugin that has to do with Avast. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled adwcleaner and it did remove the unwanted pup. I will try to remember to re-post after awhile to let you know if it has happened again or has stayed the same.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,395 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:31 PM

Very good....hope to hear back from you....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users