Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inability to decompress active partition in Windows 10 OS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Oldman81

Oldman81

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:24 AM

The version of Windows 10 installed in my computer is14393. A few days back I received an update offer to the latest version16299. This update required a spare capacity of 8GB in the active partition ©. This update also required that the files in the active partition should be in uncompressed state.The active partition had only about 2GB spare capacity. I used Minitool Partition wizard to increase the capacity of active partition © by about 20 GB from another partition. The active partition had all files in the compressed state to save space.

When I tried to uncompress the files in the active partition I get a message that  C:\swapfile.sys is being used by another process and hence it cannot be accessed. Norton antivirus and Avast antivirus [programs are installed in my system.

I suspected that these antivirus program are responsible for the problem I am facing. I uninstalled Avast Anti virus program and tried to uncompress the C partion. It did not work. Later I tried to uninstall Norton anti virus program. I am unable to do it. I tried to download Norton Removal Tool. I am unable to download it. I seek help as the other two forums do not deal with this type of problem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:18 AM

If you have both Norton antivirus and AVAST antivirus installed you need to uninstall one of these.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Credit for this goes to quietman7.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Oldman81

Oldman81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:49 AM

Thanks for the useful tip.

I am quite willing to uninstall the Norton Security Scan. I am unable to carry it out. The IObit Unlocker which I downloaded from the Bleepingcomputer site is unable to do it. I wanted to download another program called "Norton Removal Tool" access to which is provided by Bleeping computer site. Soon after I click the download button I get the message " connection was Reset. Try again later". I must have tried more than a dozen times. Connection could not be established.

I have three questions:

1. Why the latest update for Windows 10 require the files in the active partition should not be compressed? Till date   I would have received more than 3 updates which were installed when the files in the active partition were in the compressed state. These updates did not stipulate that the active partition should not have compressed files.

2. Why is it difficult to uninstall Norton Security scan?

3Why is it difficult to uncompress the files in the active partition whereas in the other partitions this is done easily.

I seek help from the members to enable me to install the latest Update for Windows10.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:30 AM

IObit is optimization software which includes a registry cleaner, Bleeping Computer does not endorse the use of these products as they can cause more harm than good.

The link below to download the Norton Removal Tool was last updated 12/27/2017.  Follow the instructions to remove Norton.

Uninstall and Reinstall Norton product using the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Oldman81

Oldman81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:19 AM

Thanks once again for the helpful suggestion.Sorry for the delay in responding.  As suggested I tried the link. As the link mentions the antivirus program gets reinstalled. I could not benefit by the suggestion.

Fortunately since I had complained earlier to Microsoft IO got a message to the effect that they would carry our the update at a time convenient to me. I had suggested a suitable time and the update was carried out. The active partition was found decompressed as requested by me. The current versio in my computer is1709 and the OS build is 16299.334.

I thank dc3 for his helpful attitude and the bleepingcomputerrs for hosting my complaint.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:15 AM

You now have the latest 1709 version 16299.334 installed and it appears that Microsoft has resolved the update time.  What problems are still occurring?

#7 Oldman81

Oldman81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:57 PM

Thanks once again for pursuing the case. Right now I have only one problem and that is inability to get rid of Norton antivirus program. Microsoft really helped me in a big way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users