Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Volume appears as RAW in disk management

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Izo84

Izo84

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:00 AM

Yesterday I tried to connect my Hitachi Pro Touro 3TB external disk to my Windows 10 PC. The device was not recognized, I removed the enclosure and connected it directly to my PC (SATA).

The issue I am facing, is that the data format is RAW and the size is to small. The volume was NTFS once.

I need some help restoring my disk.

I made some screenshots

This is what i see in the disk properties.

Attached File  a1.PNG   11.87KB   1 downloads

Here another screenshot from the disk management.

Attached File  a2.PNG   39.74KB   0 downloads

And here are the results of testdisk

Attached File  1.PNG   19.93KB   0 downloads

I hope that somebody has a clue. Pardon the german language on the first two screenshots  :tophat:

Edited by hamluis, 06 March 2018 - 04:31 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:09 AM

Obviously, do not format the drive yet.

Have you tried EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free...
https://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

They also have a tutorial on the process...

https://www.easeus.com/resource/repair-raw-disk.htm

I've never had to use it myself so I can not speak for the success rate of this software.

If you are able to get your data back, then I would recommend formatting and then scanning the disc for any possible bad sectors, SMART errors, etc. (unless you already know what borked the partition table).

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:27 AM

Was there ever data on the disk?

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

Almost every hard disk drive since the mid 1990's has been an intelligent device that has numerous different types of issues.  Part of the media surface is called the "system area" and in it are kept items such as the number of power on hours, the start/stop count, a map of reallocated sectors (meaning the device stopped using the original sector and moved it to a spare because it detected damage), those spare sectors themselves, and, in some cases, the final bits of the firmware that determine its size, geometry, etcetera.

When the drive fails to read the system area, two common results are that the drive suddenly appears as zero bytes (what you posted) or worse, stops appearing at all and the first result is what you are seeing.

It may be possible to resurrect the drive long enough to clone it (a sector-by-sector copy) to another 3TB drive; but, to do that, we need the full and complete model number from the top of the drive.  What is it?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:11 AM

Run Test Disk again. This time select Advanced > Boot. How is the Bootsector listed?

Before you removed the drive in the enclosure did you attempt to connect it to another computer?

I once had a drive that was listed as RAW, albeit a smaller drive that was not GPT, that was listed as RAW in Windows but read fine in linux. 

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:13 PM

Better late than never, but !  Welcome to BC !

To add to what John_C said in #5 you can run Linux on virtually any computer without turning it into a Linux machine if you use what is called a 'live' disc. Mint is well reccommended for this and you require either a blank DVD or an empty 4GB memory stick. You can download Mint from here -

https://linuxmint.com/

You will see the download at at the top of the screen. Take any version of Mint 18, I would not at this stage use Mint 19. The installer downloads as an ISO file. This can be burnt to a DVD on any Windows system Win 7 or later. If you wish to use a memory stick then you are advised to use a utility called 'Rufus' to convert the ISO to installable files. You may also need to change the boot order in BIOS to optical drive or USB first, depending on which you decide to use. Boot the computer with either the DVD or the memory stick inserted and it will boot from the Mint source.

So long as you DO NOT CLICK INSTALL the OS will load into RAM and not your hard drive. You can then try to read the disc from Linux as John suggests. If this is successful and once you have recovered your data, remove the memory stick or the DVD and re-boot your computer - you will be back in Windows.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:51 AM

Guys, with all respect I think that before we spend a lot of time explaining how to restore data, we need to find out if there ever was any data to restore. It's unclear from the original post if this is a new HD that won't show up in disk management (or shows as "raw" and simply needs to be formatted) or if it once contained data that is no longer accessible.

#8 Izo84

Izo84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:11 PM

Yes there was data on the device. I resolved it by connecting it to my raspberry PI with raspberrian. It resolved my issue. I saved the files on an other disk and formated it on windows 10 as NTFS. Now the disk is being recognized. Somehow Windows 10 could not handle the format even though it was NTFS. Thanks for your help.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for the update. Linux to the rescue again. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users