Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Were we wrong to give up the landline ?....what price social media ?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:51 PM

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-05/landlines-vs-mobile-phones-were-we-wrong-to-give-up-land-line/9508500

Smartphones and the internet have revolutionised society, commerce, and politics, reshaping how we work and play, and how our brains are wired. They have even revolutionised how revolutions are made.

For enthusiasts, these technologies enhance freedom and democratise the flow of information, putting more power in the hands of people to generate political change.

In the aftermath of the Parkland shooting, high school students have used social media to provoke a public debate about guns in the United States.

However, detractors counter that social media and the internet foster "slactivism": weak, low-effort commitments that do little more than make users feel better.

Read on :

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-05/landlines-vs-mobile-phones-were-we-wrong-to-give-up-land-line/9508500

Emotional Communication in the Human Voice

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/265049164_Emotional_Communication_in_the_Human_Voice

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:58 PM

Who gave up the land line :question: 

I'm still using a rotary telephone and POTS phone line and refuse to get rid of it.

Don't need no new fangled communication system.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:51 AM

Australia has given up the landline.

If you want to continue having a fixed line at home, then you will need to have your home phone and internet service connected to the nbn network.(National Broadband Network)

Telstra (The largest aussie telco ) is required to switch off our copper network within 18 months of the nbn network being available in an area

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:55 AM

In the area where I live we are seeing the change from copper to fiber the nodes / hubs already installed on the poles and waiting for connection to the homes if wanted and eventually pushed to it as I'm sure this will eventually be the only system available.

I'm sure it's all about bandwidth these day with all of the socializing everyone seems to do.

I'm surprised I'm still able to have a POTS these days and will continue to have POTS until they no longer offer it and then the wired telephone will only be a memory in this house.

I don't need call waiting.

If it's important whoever will call back.

I don't need caller I.D..

If I don't want to talk to a caller I hang up.

I've never even owned an answering machine.

I don't need any of that crap.

I have a simple telephone service for our convenience to be used when needed and not to be hassled by all of the telephone solicitors and telemarketers etc.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:01 PM

After decades of carrying around two "clunky" pagers, I hate the idea of an electronic leash.  I have a "twisted pair" for the home but refuse to use AT&Ts internet service because it's too slow due to the limitations of two wires.   I do have a cell phone but it remains in the cars glove box for emergencies.  I let all incoming calls go to the answering machine which I can monitor and pick up if it's important, otherwise, talk to the machine, some enjoy that.  What does the future hold, who knows.  I think the bounds have been seriously over whelmed by the internet and access through the phones.  The one unit i would really see is the single use device of a "picture phone".  No internet, just a camera facing the user and the ability to connect to other picture phones for normal calling.  Stuffing so many functions into a single device is making things expensive and leaves users in a panic when it breaks.

#6 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 536 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:57 PM

We have always had a landline, remotes but a plug-in as well in case of a power outage. Comes with living in earthquake land. We have a cell as well.

Lived a mile or less from the '94 Northridge quake epicenter, all utilities stopped for days but the first things working were the landline phones for communications to others outside the area.

After a somewhat recent small quake, cell phones were useless due to high traffic, landlines worked fine.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:50 PM

So social media causes a few frowns.......yet the young people at Parkland High have used it to great effect in the aftermath of the recent shootings there....to swing the media spotlight, indeed the nations spotlight , back onto the issue of gun control.

There appear to be a few people not fussed about any of the new fangled stuff...like digital phones etc and smarthpones connected to the likes of facebook etc.......and yet the social media can serve a good cause...

For enthusiasts, these technologies enhance freedom and democratise the flow of information, putting more power in the hands of people to generate political change

Teenagers’ use of Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram is social media at its best – a cudgel against political discourse that desperately needs to change

‘They did what teenagers do so well: make adults and our tolerance for an intolerable status quo look dumb and old.’

But in the week since Nikolas Cruz walked into Heather’s school with an AR-15 and shot 17 people dead, the teenagers whose lives were upended by the shooting have used social media to upend this country’s ritualistic response to mass shootings.

They have taken to Twitter and Snapchat and Instagram to do what teenagers do so well: make adults and our tolerance for an intolerable status quo look dumb and old.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/21/florida-students-have-turned-social-media-into-a-weapon-for-good

So....what say you ?.....do us oldies need to sharpen our acts , and show the younguns a few things ?

#8 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 536 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:25 PM

Before the prevalence of social media, computers and Internet opened means of worldwide communication non existent prior. With the young, it seems new gadgets and means does creat a platform of sometimes very effective exchanges, oftentimes virally so. I feel it's a good thing overall in a rapidly changing world. 

As far as showing the young a few things, this oldie just can't match their energy. :)
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:28 AM

So....what say you ?.....do us oldies need to sharpen our acts , and show the younguns a few things ?

We're going to have to "sharpen our acts" and show the young guns a thing or two.

Social media sites are powerful tools providing they are used with an  intelligent sense of style.

I still believe us oldsters still have what it takes to get on top with the flow of modernization. :thumbup2:

#10 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:53 AM

I still believe us oldsters still have what it takes to get on top with the flow of modernization. :thumbup2:

All bar one i.e this old fella.... :orange:

#11 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:06 AM

After decades of carrying around two "clunky" pagers, I hate the idea of an electronic leash.  I have a "twisted pair" for the home but refuse to use AT&Ts internet service because it's too slow due to the limitations of two wires. 

That might depend on your area, I too have AT&T "twisted pair" and my download is around 70-80Mbps with about 6-7 Mbps up.

I did have better connection with Comcast but my "introductory offer" expired and it was too much $$$ so I had to go with the AT&T "introductory offer" until that expires (2yrs) That will give me enough time to be eligible for the Comcast offer again.

For phone service I have an Ooma box, I buy the device and only pay local and state taxes and 911 service (about $5. per month) Doesn't matter who I have for an ISP, as long as I have high speed internet I can use the Ooma box voip

Edited by Joe C, 06 March 2018 - 08:10 AM.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:22 AM

I believe the oldies already have the situation in hand......they dont teach wisdom and mindset in schools/uni's

I sit in with quite a few young ones from time to time....and I sometimes struggle to keep the smile off my face as they expound on a "new idea'.....sure its 'new' in terms of the terminology used to present it....but often times it is simply a rehash of something that you and I, Beel...take for granted.  Thus is usually related to the organization of something....and it is my firm belief that most of the 'youngguns' couldnt organise a grog on in a brewery.

omg....look at the usa presidential elections....organised via twitter.....and the next election will probably be fought the same/similar way......but eventually the fight will be fought at 'grass roots ' level ....and the 'newer' generation will not cope.

I stray from the subject of my own topic. !

In the meantime, can we teach ourselves of the intricacies of twitter  ?....the Opposition Government in Australia are doing just that......so that they will be on top of the flow of modernization for the next election here.

Are there any twisted pair people there who would at least investigate the pros and cons of using their internet connection for voip phone calls ?

As (slightly) complicated as the technology is.;..setting it up is as easy as falling out of bed. And the cost per month is a lot less (depending on how much use you make of your phone.)

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:58 AM

No interest in voip.

I pay $16.00 a month for POTS and it's pulse and I use a rotary dial phone that never failed or been down in the forty plus years of living in the house I live in.

I have ATT internet regular normal guy service with no complaints.

I have neighbors who have cable phone service and cable internet service and are always experiencing outages with both services.

No I'll stay with my old reliable old school as long as ATT have it available.

#14 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:28 PM

I don't have a smart phone,never will, just use a very old style mobile to call & text. Never been on Facebook or Twitter & all that kind of stuff but I get by quite happily in my life. To me all this latest technology is both asking for trouble & a worry if not handled carefully but there again everyone to their own thing!

#15 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

Old landlines are getting few and far between.  AT&T or most other telcom's no longer have an interest in up keeping landlines, Many people have voip and do not know it. Their ISP's auto switch them and they are none the wiser, as long as their phone still works they do not care.  I  do not know of anybody that is not voip. Mom may think it's still her old phone system, but it isn't and she does not have internet per se, but Comcast is her phone & tv service

Edited by Joe C, 06 March 2018 - 01:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users