Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 (64 bit) Doesn't Go To Sleep

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 meeshu

meeshu

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:10 PM

Running Windows 7 64 bit.

System will go into sleep mode ONLY when scheduled in system Power Options under Control Panel. But the system will NOT go to sleep when selecting the sleep option manually from the Desktop (Start > Shutdown > Sleep).

All that happens when selecting manual sleep, is that the display switches off (usually), but the computer is still running and doesn't actually fully go into sleep mode (with flashing power LED showing).

I'm certain that manual sleep mode was possible sometime ago, but as of about a month or so ago, manual sleep mode no longer seems to work.

I've run Malwarebytes (Anti-Malware) to remove some "infections", and I've also run SFC /scannow to fix any system file issues (none were found), but the manual sleep problem still remains.

Is there a quick and easy way of determining what the problem is, rather than having to uninstall one program at a time to find what MIGHT be causing the issue?

Hopefully I won't have to do a complete re-installation of the operating system and programs. This option will only be taken as a last resort!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

Check the boards manual, you may have setting in the bios.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 meeshu

meeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the comment.

Sorry, but I should have mentioned that W7 64 bit is part of a multi-boot setup on my computer where I also have W7 32 bit and XP 32 bit.

W7 32 bit and XP shut down to sleep mode manually without issue. And since the BIOS is common to all of the operating systems, then there is unlikely to be an issue with the BIOS. In any event, the problem with not being able to manually go to sleep mode under W 7 64 bit seemed to occur not to long ago (~ a month ago).; previously there was no problem. This suggests the problem is probably software related rather than being firmware (BIOS) related as it is unlikely the BIOS settings have changed unless BIOS was somehow corrupted(?)

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:45 AM

For those kinds of problems I always suspect video drivers.

From your Win 7 32-bit operation figure out the video driver version that works.

Check by opening Device Manager by clicking the Start button/orb and in the box enter:

devmgmt.msc

Click/Select devmgmt.msc, expand the Display adapters section, right click the display adapter, Properties, Driver tab and see what the version is:

[attachment=202704:Untitled.jpg]

I think for Win 7 32/64-bit the hardware manufacturer driver version is likely to be the same (could be wrong about that).

Is the driver version on the afflicted 64-bit version the same as the 32-bit version and if not visit the display adapter manufacturers WWW site to see what they suggest for Win 7 64-bit.

If you are not sure what you have (on the 64-bit system) do this so we can see what you have:

Do this so we can see what you have:

What is your system make and model or is it something assembled from separately purchased components?

If the system is a Dell what is the Service Tag Number?

If the system is an HP what is the serial number?

If the system is an Toshiba what is the serial number?

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

For video device and driver information, expand the Components, click Display, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information back here..

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 meeshu

meeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for that! I was thinking of double checking the video driver for W7 64 bit, but didn't get around to it.

W7 32 bit video driver was/is AMD 17.7.2, and W7 64 bit was AMD 14.4 (!!??) even though I had version 17.7.2 video driver for W7 64 bit available!?

Why W7 64 bit was running with 14.4 video driver instead of version 17.7.2 is not clear. I don't recall installing driver 14.4, but must have done so for whatever reason!?

Uninstalled 14.4 video driver and also used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to remove any remaining files left after the uninstallation (which was not completed properly; system seemed to hang later in the uninstallation process, so I had to force a system restart).

Then installed 17.7.2 video driver under W7 64 bit and NOW the system shuts down into sleep mode when selecting the manual option (Start > Shut down > Sleep)!

So for the moment the system is working as it should!

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:10 PM

Good job!

You did all the work.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 meeshu

meeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

Unfortunately the computer will not go into sleep mode manually ONCE AGAIN!?

Uninstalled AMD video driver version 17.7.2, but system hung (once again) with black/blank screen after drivers uninstalled, so I had to RESET the computer.

Booted into Safe Mode, and ran DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to remove any left over files related to the video drivers.

Rebooted to Normal Mode and reinstalled AMD video driver version 17.7.2.

Rebooted again. But computer will not go into manual sleep mode (Start > Shut down > Sleep) anymore!? Just get blank monitor screen with computer still running!?

Ran SFC /scannow to check for corrupt/missing system files, but none were found.

What to do now??

#8 kevin21

kevin21

• Banned Spammer
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:05 AM

If you do not sleep mode automatically then  go to control panel  and select the power options it will show a window in power settings and select balance its (Recommended) and select the change plan setting  and chose change advance setting and it will open advance setting  and select the current setting Down arrow select power saver and choose multimedia setting to expand the setting  and choose sharing media to expand and chose setting and select allow the  computer to sleep .  It will Resolve this issue.

#9 meeshu

meeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for the detailed comment.

But the problem occurs ONLY when trying to enter sleep mode MANUALLY via Start > Shut down > Sleep.

System or automatic sleep mode seems to work OK.

At this stage it is looking like I'll have to wipe the drive (partition) and reinstall everything again, unless someone can help resolve the issue of not being able to enter sleep mode manually!

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:04 AM

Just in case it helps have a read here

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/63288-63-windows-refuses-sleep

#11 meeshu

meeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for the link!

That issue suggests that the printer driver was the cause. But in my case the printer driver hasn't changed, and manual sleep mode worked previously with the same printer driver installed. Also, no other (hardware) drivers have changed either, so the issue I'm having seems to be due to some other software(?)

I've done an anti-malware scan as well with no (significant) problems found.

The only remote possibility might be that a registry cleaner (Wise Registry Cleaner) may have caused some problem as I've used this on several occasions? But I've used this program before without issue (I think) previously, and I only use the "Safe Scan" mode to eliminate (or at least) minimize possibility of deleting vital or important registry entries.

#12 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:07 AM

The only remote possibility might be that a registry cleaner (Wise Registry Cleaner) may have caused some problem as I've used this on several occasions? But I've used this program before without issue (I think) previously, and I only use the "Safe Scan" mode to eliminate (or at least) minimize possibility of deleting vital or important registry entries.

This possibility is probably not as remote as you think, since registry cleaners are essentially snake oil.  That's my opinion but it is based on the opinion of others who have much more knowledge of the registry than I.  Since you have already been using it, open the program and "undo" or run the backups to reverse the last cleaning or two--you'll need to go as far back as to when the problem first began.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#13 meeshu

meeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:52 PM

An update.

I didn't undo the registry cleans (yet).

But first as an aside, Wise Registry Cleaner was also used on Windows 7 32 bit with no apparent issues (I could manually set the 32 bit version of Windows 7 to sleep and wake it up again without any difficulty). The difficulties were only with the 64 bit version of Windows 7.

Under Windows 7 64 bit, also tried Auslogics Registry Cleaner, but that caused problems also (before Wise Registry Cleaner, I think)!

Subsequently I've used CCleaner (Registry clean) and Glarysoft Registry Repair under Windows 7 64 bit, and I can once again send W7 to sleep manually!

Although no more registry issues were found when running CCleaner and Registry Repair again, Wise Registry Cleaner still found quite a number of registry issues despite running it in "safe scan" mode (afterwards)!? I did not allow Wise Registry Cleaner to "clean" the remaining registry issues in case it caused issues to (re)occur.

So for the moment I can put W7 64 bit to sleep manually, and I will no longer use Wise Registry Cleaner and Auslogics Registry Cleaner.

Edited by meeshu, 06 August 2018 - 08:54 PM.

#14 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:44 PM

As was already mentioned you will do yourself a favor by discontinuing the use of Registry cleaners in the future even though it may have helped this time.

Registry Cleaners, Boosters, Optimizers, TuneUp Utilities... This type of software will do a lot more harm than good, and should only be used by advanced users who really know their way around the registry. Most members coming here with WEIRD symptoms had their computer messed up by malware and/or registry cleaners. These utilities do not only remove what "they think" are orphan entries in the registry but legitimate files still in use will be deleted in the process, crippling some programs and Windows applications beyond repair.

Keep in mind that they will always find "errors" to fix, even on a fresh Windows install! In itself, this should be enough to convince non-believers...

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#15 meeshu

meeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:01 PM

Spoke too soon!

I could manually send W7 64 bit to sleep again. But on the following day it would no longer (once again) go to sleep manually!??

I've run Malwarebytes (Anti-Malware), Super AntiSpyware, and SFC /scannow, with no issues (of concern) found!

Reinstalled the video drivers numerous times but still W7 will not go to sleep manually.

Short of having to wipe the OS from the HDD and reinstalling it, what else can be done to re-enable manual sleep mode?

Windows Repair (All In One) utility, could that help? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users