Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Dead?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xev

xev

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:45 PM

My 3TB Seagate drive suddenly disappeared from the My Computer menu a week ago. I decide to recheck the connections and nothing; not in BIOS or Windows. I try putting it in an external dock and still not recognized (dock works with other drives).
I feel the drive is powered up as there is vibration and the magnets and disks are spinning. Could it be the Sata port?

A SSD is the only drive currently plugged into the motherboard. The 3tb in question is in the dock. The dock shows up in Device Manager Disk Drives but its not showing the 3Tb drive.

I tried several recovery programs and they are also not detecting the 3tb seagate

Advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:55 PM

Try running the long generic diagnostic in SeaTools for Windows or SeaTools for DOS on the drive...but I would not be hopeful.  The signs that you posted indicate that nothing detects it...that's a pretty definite indication, IMO.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:00 PM

A particular 3TB Seagate was know to have massive failures. Enough that a class action suit was filed against Seagate.

Check your model number.

https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/seagate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST3000DM001

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 March 2018 - 06:01 PM.

#4 xev

xev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:27 PM

WOW! Unfortunately for me, it is one of those. 

A particular 3TB Seagate was know to have massive failures. Enough that a class action suit was filed against Seagate.

Check your model number.

https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/seagate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST3000DM001

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:39 PM

The next step would be to either contact the attorneys and file out a form for compensation or call Seagate and see what they say. 

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,053 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:37 AM

I would look on Newegg they have plenty of good deals on all hard drives.

Once a new hard drive is installed and you are back up and running take the dead hard drive outside and shoot it full of bullet holes or beat it to a pulp with a big hammer.

I call it anger management and an acceptable practice that will make you feel better. :thumbsup:

No pharmaceutical medication needed. :wink:

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

#7 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:59 AM

If the OP is eligible for compensation, Seagate might want to have this drive back.

If not, and if you get or have the tools you can pull out the rare earth magnets inside the drives before you destroy the platters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users