Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

INACCESIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after image restore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tstenz

tstenz

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:53 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to do a system image recovery using a Windows installation disk and an external drive, which seems to be successful, but now I can't boot due to an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. I have redone the image recovery 3 times and I've tried booting from both a system repair disk and an Windows installation disk, but still the same error.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tstenz

tstenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:32 PM

Also, I tried using DISM to check for issues per this link, but u didn't see anything out of the ordinary: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-update-causing-inaccessible-boot-device-error-windows-10

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

What you have posted is not clear as to what you actually did.  Did you try to load a Windows 10 cloned image on another mass storage device, ie. ssd/hdd?

If you did you need to create System Reserve partition.

The System Reserved partition holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database.  It also reserves space for the startup files required by the BitLockerDrive Encryptionion feature.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 tstenz

tstenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:55 PM

I created a system image using the Windows tool, reinstalled Windows, and then restored the image on the same device.

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:52 PM

Hi, the fix you linked is the way to go, unfortunately it is copied from a Tech net blog which was not properly written, you would have received file not found type messages, since the examples use C: drive. Save me writing out a long thread, go back use the link, and when you get to the command prompt before you do anything else, type:- (all cmds you type must be exactly as you see them, spaces important)

bcdedit |find "osdevice"  (press enter, the | is called a pipe and is found above the \ key). It will return  osdevice........Partition X (where X is a Drive letter) In the RE the OS is not always allocated to the C: drive typically it is the D: drive, you substitute whatever drive letter the bcdedit cmd returns for C: in the examples in the link. 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-update-causing-inaccessible-boot-device-error-windows-10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users