Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New system - Win 10 - slower than molasses, why?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Carney

Carney

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

System Specs: Dell Inspiron 17 - 5000 series

16GB RAM

Intel Core i5-7200 2.5 GHz

This is a brand new system. The only app I've added is Office 365. The system is s...l...o...w. I mean painfully slow, slower than my very old 4GB system. Every time I attempt to launch any app, say Word, the system hangs and sits there forever. I often have to reboot, relaunch and still wait for the app to open. Once opened, I type faster than Word can keep up and I don't type fast. Trying to do anything is painful because the system hangs at least a dozen times a day requiring a reboot. If I attempt to open more than one app at a time, EX: Word and Excel, the system crashes. When I attempt to identify what is causing the crash and slowdown, I see multiple instances of the same process listed in task manager. I understand this is normal, but...we're talking up to ten instances. 

I have run Malwarebytes and it shows no result. I have also run virus scans without result. I'm not sure what else to look at or how to resolve this matter. Any advice will be very welcome. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

If it is truly "brand new out of the box" except for the Office 365 installation I'd seriously consider returning it.  The more you do to fix what shouldn't need to be fixed at this stage of the game the pickier the merchant and Dell will become about accepting a return.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:10 PM

+1 on the return. What version and build? Windows key + R. type winver in the run box.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:21 PM

John,

Just FYI, for any of the system commands like winver you can just hit the Windows Key and immediately type it and hit Enter.  Yes, it does a search to find the command but I seldom see that even occur if I just type and hit enter.  There are things I use WinKey+R for, but running winver isn't one of them.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users