Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 BSOD and the Windows Driver Verifier Utility

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tonytis

tonytis

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:54 PM

I’m running Windows 10 Pro on a desktop with a I7 processor and 16 gigs of ram. The system is full patched from the Windows update built into Windows. I manually run it weekly to keep Windows updated.

This was a clean installation of Windows 10 from two years ago. I’ve kept the system very clean with ESET anti-virus and Malwarebytes 3 cloud version. The system has been very stable with virtually no problems. I’ve been working in tech support for windows for ten years so I’m fairly familiar in maintaining and troubleshooting technical issues.

Two weeks ago, I received my first BSOD on this Win 10 Pc. I installed Nirsoft Blue Screen Viewer but it didn’t provide much info on the cause and I don’t have much experience in determining what driver could have cause it.  

This morning I received another BSOD and tried investigating. I googled it and found the Windows Driver Verifier mentioned in Windows. I ran it and selected the only driver it found it said was unsigned. I rebooted and everything was fine. Nirsoft Blue Screen viewer mentioned the dump was in NsKernl

So I added Nskernl as a 2nd driver to check in Driver Verifier and upon restarting, I received two BSOD’s. Windows went into an automatic repair and reverted to an earlier version. That worked and now it’s running again. I’m assuming I should not add that driver into Driver Verifier any more.

I ran Nirsoft Blue Screen viewer and it said the dump was caused by a DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION. I have a minidump but I received a message when trying to attach it that that type of file could not be uploaded.

Can you review this and let me know what I should do?  I’m not sure what direction I should go.

Thanks,

Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tonytis

tonytis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:13 PM

I read the pinned posting about Windows 10 BSOD's. I don't find a way to attach the report it mentioned to run.

Here is the link to the Speccy upload that was mentioned before

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Fp4E3llGJjkctGVTeGGLTgJ

Edited by tonytis, 04 March 2018 - 04:07 PM.

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:23 PM

So I added Nskernl as a 2nd driver to check in Driver Verifier and upon restarting, I received two BSOD’s. Windows went into an automatic repair and reverted to an earlier version. That worked and now it’s running again. I’m assuming I should not add that driver into Driver Verifier any more.

You should never verify Windows system drivers, especially the kernel image itself! :nono: You will always end up in trouble if you do this.

I read the pinned posting about Windows 10 BSOD's. I don't find a way to attach the report it mentioned to run.

To attach a file, please click Reply to this topic on the top right-side of your topic page. Next, on the bottom, under Attach Files, click Browse..., then click Open, and finally Attach This File. To finalize and post your post, click Add Reply. You just need to attach the Sysnative File Collection App output.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 tonytis

tonytis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:56 PM

Attached is the upload you requested,  I forgot to attach it the first time.

Since I posted my original message, I was reading additional postings here on BSOD's.It said to perform the following in Driver Verifier:

1. Create a Windows System Restore Point - No problem
2. Run Driver Verifier -
Make these selections -
1. Select 2nd option - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select 2nd option - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check these boxes -

• Special Pool
  • Force IRQL checking
  • Pool Tracking
  • Deadlock Detection
  • Security Checks (new as of Windows 7)
  • Miscellaneous Checks
  • Power framework delay fuzzing (new as of Windows 8)
  • DDI compliance checking (new as of Windows 8)

4. Select last option - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the Provider heading - sorts list by Provider
6. Check ALL boxes where "Microsoft" IS NOT the Provider
7. Click on Finish
8. Re-boot

Now, I was very careful to follow each step correctly. After I rebooted, I received two more BSOD's. I won't be making any changes until I hear from an export on this site.

Attached Files

#5 tonytis

tonytis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:16 PM

Windows Update ran this afternoon with updates to Office 2013 and when it restarted, I received a message momentarily that an update could not be completed.

Then it continued and restarted. It gave me another BSOD and it never restarted to I had to do a manual power off.

It restarted and now says there are updates to apply. I paused Windows updates for 1 month until I can get this situation stabilized.

Any suggestions?  I was wondering if I should go into Verifier and delete the current settings? Will that cause any problems?

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,992 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:42 PM

Sorry for missing your response!

The logs unfortunately didn't contain any memory dumps, so I can't comment on the BSOD issues. However, I did manage to extract through WER the parameters of the Driver Verifier BSOD you described in your first post:

3/4/2018 5:36 PM    Windows Error Reporting    Fault bucket 0xc9_23e_VRFK_USBPcap!unknown_function, type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen
Response: Not available
Cab Id: f57501fb-1068-4634-9bb5-44e36e7ef942

Problem signature:
P1: c9
P2: 23e
P3: fffff8045c642dc4
P4: fffff88dc3b6eaf0
P5: 0
P6: 10_0_16299
P7: 0_0
P8: 256_1
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\030418-4890-01.dmp
\\?\C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER-12984-0.sysdata.xml
\\?\C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER4170.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER4172.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER4182.tmp.txt
\\?\C:\Windows\Temp\WERBD1D.tmp.WERDataCollectionStatus.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_c9_3fc0f7ece6645f88071713a9ea56e2512ad52_00000000_cab_11d1dd2c

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 1dc627d5-8745-40e2-97e5-c692b7e631cc
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket:

Can you uninstall that USBPcap driver of yours? Please turn off Driver Verifier and send me fresh Sysnative File Collection App logs. Also, please run these two hardware diagnostics:

Edited by bwv848, 06 March 2018 - 09:43 PM.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#7 tonytis

tonytis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for your reply. I tried uploading yesterday's mini dump but it says I'm not allowed to upload this kind of file. How do I get it to you?.

Here is a new Speccy file I created

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4NZSUbgGM7sdks00Zxfl8wv

I've rerun and attached a new SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip. Hope it helps.

I use PCAP for a video app that was required for an app I use for a client. I'll see if I can uninstall it.

I'm running a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB, so I'm not sure if there is a Samsung version of the drive analysis software I should run instead. Samsung Magician says the drive is in Good status.

Attached Files

#8 tonytis

tonytis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:34 AM

Hi BVW848,

I ran Memtest all night and it didn't report any errors. I didn't hear back from you on how I upload the minidump file or what to do in the hd test.

I also deleted the tests in Verifier.

Please respond.

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,992 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:16 PM

Does SeaTools detect your SSD? In my experience, SSD diagnostics aren't particularly reliable — they tend to rely on S.M.A.R.T., which is sometimes not very smart. :) Out of curiosity, I decided to have a look at your event log and found dozens of these kind of troubling disk errors:

Event[3940]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: Disk
  Date: 2018-02-15T09:53:47.121
  Event ID: 51
  Task: N/A
  Level: Warning
  Opcode: N/A
  Keyword: Classic
  User: N/A
  User Name: N/A
  Computer: TG-Win10
  Description:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR6 during a paging operation.

Can you try check for SSD firmware updates through SSD Magician?

Driver Verifier has flagged a few Malwarebytes drivers. Can you uninstall Malwarebytes?

#10 tonytis

tonytis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:36 AM

Hi BWV848,

Thanks for the reply.  How do I upload the dump file?

I contacted Samsung and I plan to get the new EVO 860 SSD. They said the drive's performance benchmark shows it's running slower than normal and it reflects a problem. That drive will be going back on an RMA.

Anything else I can do to resolve the issue or should I just want until I get the new drive?

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,992 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:18 AM

Let's wait for the new SSD. :)

#12 tonytis

tonytis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:38 AM

Ok, I migrated the entire 1TB Evo 850 SSD to a new 1TB Evo 860 SSD. The new SSD is installed. What's the next step?

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,992 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:54 AM

Monitoring your system patiently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users