Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use External Hard-drive to Boost Laptop's tiny memory?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hobbitrox

hobbitrox

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

Hi there all, newbie here. Sort of at the end of my tether. 

I bought a hp stream laptop with what I knew was a small memory (29.1 gigs.) I only wanted something to write documents on and check my email. Literally, just that: I don't use games, I don't do anything complicated. For that, I was assured the tiny memory would be fine.

However, the laptop operating system is windows 10 and the memory is so tiny windows 10 can't update. I've taken every unnecessary app and program that I can off the laptop (there are a few which windows won't let me remove.) I regularly clean up the memory and don't keep anything besides written files on the damn thing, and I still can't update.

There's a usb port and a slot for an ssid card, but no internal hard-drive (from what I can tell) which can be enlarged; would I be able to by an external hard-drive and save the updates to that instead? Buying a brand new laptop is not a possibility right now but I might be able to swing one of those. 

Any insight into whether this is a viable plan? Help a hobbit out! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 March 2018 - 01:05 PM.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:13 PM

You can use either external drives to save your data to. As the ad says:

Versatile storage options

Easily store and access your files from the cloud with 25GB of Dropbox storage for 1 year.2 And with the USB and SD card ports, you can take advantage of an external hard drive or SD card.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:49 PM

A friend of mine has one of these and had the same problem with the inability to update Win 10. He too had bought it for much the same reasons as yourself - web browsing, emails and the occasional document.

At the finish, and with his approval, I wiped the drive and installed Linux Mint XFCE and with Firefox, Chromium and Libre Office he was still able to do what he wanted and had about 15 - 20 GB of hard drive space to play with.

An option you might wish to consider.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:13 PM

A friend of mine has one of these and had the same problem with the inability to update Win 10. He too had bought it for much the same reasons as yourself - web browsing, emails and the occasional document.

At the finish, and with his approval, I wiped the drive and installed Linux Mint XFCE and with Firefox, Chromium and Libre Office he was still able to do what he wanted and had about 15 - 20 GB of hard drive space to play with.

An option you might wish to consider.

Chris Cosgrove

Absolutely! On this one, I'll second Chris right down the line (he's one of BC's more 'enlightened' mods....and one of the Forum's 'good guys'!) :thumbup2:

Linux does NOT have the ridiculous space demands mandated by recent versions of Windoze (and I understand that Win 10 is worse than all previous versions in this respect).

On many occasions I've read here on BC that to run Win 10 you really need a drive with an absolute minimum of 500 GB space....

500 GB...???! WTF is it doing with all that space? Please, somebody, explain this one to me.....'cos I cannot figure that one out for the life of me.

---------------------------------------------------------

Your average Linux distro needs around 8-10 GB to actually install, and only a few gigs for updates and the like. Myself, I run a litter of 'Puppies' (10 at the last count), plus a huge number of sym-linked, 'shared' apps/programs from a remote partition on a 500 GB WD Caviar 'Blue', and the drive is barely 40% full.....leaving around 300 GB to play with.

(And that's not including the external 3 TB Seagate Expansion Desktop drive I use for all my personal data.....)

Every 'Puppy' ever built will run from an 8 GB flash drive (it loads into RAM, and runs from there, which makes it ridiculously responsive, since RAM is by far and away the fastest component of any computer), not even needing to be installed on your hard drive at all.....and you can easily use it for everything you've mentioned in your first post. If that sounds like it might be something you'd be interested in exploring, have a look here:-

http://puppylinux.com/

....which is the 'Puppy' Linux home page, and here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php

.....which is the 'Puppy' Linux forums, where you can get all the help you could possibly want/need regarding using Puppy.

Just my tuppence-worth, but.....well worth considering.

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 18 March 2018 - 05:09 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:06 AM

I have been looking into boosting my Acer mini's ram.  You may want to consider the information in the link below.  It seems as if it is hard on the USB sticks but I am using a 128g one so it should last quite some time.

https://lifehacker.com/5573801/turn-a-usb-flash-drive-into-extra-virtual-ram

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users