Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you set a Restore Point in Windows XP Safe Mode?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alisp

alisp

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

I know you can do a System Restore from Safe Mode in XP, but can you set a Restore Point that way as well?  System Restore out of Safe Mode seems to have stopped working on my XP SP3 laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:25 PM

It seems to me it would be quicker to try it yourself than to wait for a response on a forum :inlove:

#3 alisp

alisp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:44 PM

Point is, I can't see an obvious way - otherwise I'd have tried it.  I did wonder if there was something less obvious, though.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:30 PM

Okay :). I don't believe it's possible to create a restore point from safe mode. Candidly I'm not 100% certain, but as I said my recollection is that it can't be done. I'm guessing you've tried: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-vista-system-restore-guide/#manual

And sorry for the snarky first post - it was intended to be "cute" but I'm not sure it came across that way.

Edited by Allan, 04 March 2018 - 01:33 PM.

#5 alisp

alisp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:15 PM

No, I suspect not.  Thanks for linking to the tutorials, though - I wasn't really aware of their existence.  Unfortunately, my laptop is a Vista which I "downgraded" to XP (well, you would, wouldn't you? :) ), so I don't have the same number of features if I go in via Control Panel: I can only switch SR on and off, and change the amount of space available - I can't set new points.

The reason I was asking was because if I try doing a normal System Restore, i.e. via Programs > Accessories etc. I simply get a black DOS window headed "System Restore" with a cursor blinking at top left.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:53 PM

1) No, I wouldn't. I had no problem with Vista. It's just an operating system and it was fine on my systems when I ran it.

2) I don't use System Restore. I prefer disc images. While system restore is great when it works, I've seen too many situations where it failed just when needed most. Disc imaging is virtually flawless and IMO the best method of backup and restoration.

#7 IttechGyan

IttechGyan

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:47 AM

exactly the point I am not sure safe mode supports creating restore points have you tried creating one in Normal Mode boot???

#8 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

If I may offer a suggestion, I used Erunt for many years on my XP machines, and this site also offers it for download. I never used Ntregopt bundled by the same author.

When System Restore failed a couple times in the past, Erunt saved some bacon here.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/erunt/
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#9 alisp

alisp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:22 PM

Ah, thank you.  I have Erunt on my laptop, but had forgotten why!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:09 PM

Did you try doing System Restore in Safe Mode using the command prompt?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/304449/how-to-start-the-system-restore-tool-by-using-the-safe-mode-option-wit

#11 alisp

alisp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:59 PM

I did - which was what got me wondering whether I could set the points there too - but SR had been screwed up for so long that I hadn't got any points to restore from! 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:13 PM

I've used ERUNT on XP too. Is it possible to create Restore Points in Safe Mode? As Allen posted, I think not.

#13 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

If you don't have any Sys. Res. points to restore from as you mentioned, check if  you might have some Erunt backups.

c:\windows\ERDNT (default program choice).

Sorting the folder contents by date makes it easier to choose if there are backup entries.

This way, you have some peace of mind anyway.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users