Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malicious Removal Tool (MRT) Blocked by System Administrator

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robert_IT

Robert_IT

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

My Daughter's personal new Dell laptop has started running extremely slow, so I ran Webroot, Malwarebytes, and AdwCleaner. Came up clean.  I wanted to run MRT, but I got an error message: 

Malicious Removal Tool (MRT) Blocked by System Administrator

I Googled this message and several posters said to go to Group Policy and remove software restrictions.  I am not finding Group Policy on this Windows 10 Home system. 

Who would be her "System Administrator" that she should contact?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:26 AM

Windows 10 Home does not have a group policy editor.

Where is this Malicious Removal Tool coming from?  If it's the standard Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool then I have no idea why it would be blocked.  In any case, it's not likely to find anything if the other three things you've already run have come up clean.

What is her antivirus/security suite?  Windows Defender, or a third-party tool?

It may also prove helpful if you could publish a Speccy system snapshot and provide the web address for it in your message.  Here are downloadable step-by-step instructions for doing this:

- Using Speccy,  PDF Format 
                     - Using Speccy,  MS-Word Format

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Robert_IT

Robert_IT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:23 PM

I found a couple of post on other websites that called out registry keys to delete.  Of course, none of those (Windows 10) so-called keys existed on this windows 10 computer.

Yes, MRT is a Microsoft program that is on I believe all Windows 10 systems. When you type MRT in the search window, MRT.EXE will appear and typically you click on it to run it. Apparently, you now need privileges higher than "System Admin" to run it.

When I try to log into Bleepingcomputer on her laptop, I get routed to BestBuy.com.

Webroot is the antivirus software that I have on it. 

I am beginning to believe that kids infect their computers through their fingers, seems like they touch it and it is infected. Also, ask them what they did: "Nothing!"

I have other commitments until the weekend, can't do speccy until weekend. 

I am going to run RKill, it seems that no matter what you click on at the bleepingcomputer website, you end up at BestBuy.com.  Hope Bleepingcomputer is getting good ad revenue! LOL!

Edited by Robert_IT, 06 March 2018 - 08:28 PM.

#4 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:57 PM

have you actually try right clicking and run as administrator on MRT. icon?

#5 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

have you actually try right clicking and run as administrator on MRT. icon?

Or, you can enter recovery mode by using either a Windows disk and selecting "repair this computer" and going to "command prompt" before boot up and you will have administrator rights. I would recommend command prompt (admin) typing : 

sfc /scannow (enter)

then followed by 

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

then run 

sfc /scannow, again.

Hopefully, now you will be able to run mrt. MRT works well from the recovery environment (before bootup) and has admin rights.

Edited by Mason21, 09 March 2018 - 10:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users