Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NEW Western Digital External Drive Message

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 akepe

akepe

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:13 AM

Hi,All,

İ just set up my new WD 1 TB external Drive on my Windows 7 ,64 bit laptop

and tried to Clone my system via my EASE US TODO Back up - FREE .

When i clicked on ' next ' i got the following message

' System clone does not support cloning MBR disk to GPT or vice versa,please use the disk with the same type,or convert the target disk,into the same type and than try to clone again. '

İ haven't got a clue what this means AND what i'm supposed to do and HOW ?

Would appreciate some step by step instruction if possible  :clapping:

Thanks 

Julia

Edited by akepe, 04 March 2018 - 08:14 AM.

Windows 7,64 bit  -  Lenovo Laptop 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:00 AM

Firstly, you do not want to clone to an external WD drive if you are talking about one with an included enclosure. You want to create a disk image with the WD as an external. I believe your computer is a UEFI computer with a GPT disk and the WD being only 1TB is a MBR disk. MBR and GPT describe the partition table of the hard drive. The WD could be GPT but I doubt it.

Open Disk Management with your WD attached. At the left you will see Disk X in a box. You will have Disk 0 as your Windows disk.  Right click and select Properties. Click the Volumes tab. Look under Partition Style. What does is show for your Windows disk. Do the same for your WD. It may have a different number other than one.

https://www.howtogeek.com/245610/how-to-check-if-a-disk-uses-gpt-or-mbr-and-how-to-convert-between-the-two/

#4 akepe

akepe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:09 AM

Firstly, you do not want to clone to an external WD drive if you are talking about one with an included enclosure. You want to create a disk image with the WD as an external. I believe your computer is a UEFI computer with a GPT disk and the WD being only 1TB is a MBR disk. MBR and GPT describe the partition table of the hard drive. The WD could be GPT but I doubt it.

Open Disk Management with your WD attached. At the left you will see Disk X in a box. You will have Disk 0 as your Windows disk.  Right click and select Properties. Click the Volumes tab. Look under Partition Style. What does is show for your Windows disk. Do the same for your WD. It may have a different number other than one.

https://www.howtogeek.com/245610/how-to-check-if-a-disk-uses-gpt-or-mbr-and-how-to-convert-between-the-two/

Hi John,

Computer Management

C :/  Master Boot Record MBR Disk 0

My Passport ( E:)  GUID Partition Table ( GPT ) Disk 1 

Also  ' Firstly, you do not want to clone to an external WD drive if you are talking about one with an included enclosure. You want to create a disk image with the WD as an external.''

What exactly does that mean,step by step instruction please.

Thank you 

Julia

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,596 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

Creating a disk image with Easeus Todo Backup. 

#6 akepe

akepe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for the video John,didn't help me at all,as i already know how to create an image.What i asked for is what you meant by ''  You want to create a disk image with the WD as an external '' What does that mean ?

' Firstly, you do not want to clone to an external WD drive if you are talking about one with an included enclosure. You want to create a disk image with the WD as an external.''

What exactly does that mean,step by step instruction please.

Thanks

Edited by britechguy, 04 March 2018 - 11:49 AM.
Removed quotation, as repeat of video is not necessary and it's clear what's being responded to without it.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,596 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

Sorry I wasn't clear. You want to create a disk image and have the WD as the target drive for the image. Do not clone the internal drive to the WD. Do you still get the error about MBR and GPT using Disk Image in Easeus?

#8 akepe

akepe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:45 AM

Sorry I wasn't clear. You want to create a disk image and have the WD as the target drive for the image. Do not clone the internal drive to the WD. Do you still get the error about MBR and GPT using Disk Image in Easeus?

Now i get it,but why not clone  the internal drive to the WD. ???

And yes i still get the same error WHEN  trying to clone the internal drive to the WD,

But i haven't tried to create the disk image to the WD ..

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:51 AM

Assuming your goal is to backup the data on the drive to an external HD, an image is the correct way to go as JohnC states. The main reason to CLONE (vs Image) is if you want to use the 2nd drive as either a replacement for the original drive or as the primary drive on a second (ideally identical) system. And you should have no problem creating the image to a drive with a different partitioning standard (MBR / GPT). You can't clone MBR to GPT (or vice versa) because a clone drive, by definition, has to be EXACTLY the same as the original - and that includes the partition table / structure.

Edited by Allan, 04 March 2018 - 12:00 PM.

#10 akepe

akepe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:03 PM

Assuming your goal is to backup the data on the drive to an external HD, an image is the correct way to go as JohnC states. The main reason to CLONE (vs Image) is if you want to use the 2nd drive as either a replacement for the original drive or as the primary drive on a second (ideally identical) system.

Thank you Allan,appreciated..

So to clone the system it must be on an unenclosed drive ..

And how often would this procedure ideally take place and HOW is it done ?

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:10 PM

Assuming that some day you are successful in creating your image then you should consider what you are going to do one day in the future you need to use that image.

If/when your system malfunctions, won't boot or you need to replace your hard drive and actually need to use the image to get your system running again.

That is easy to simulate to test your strategy from end to end...  Make your image, pretend your Windows 7 system will not boot because of some missing file(s) or corruption but you have a good image on your WD drive.

Now you want to restore that image onto your afflicted Windows 7 installation.

If your Windows 7 will not boot what will you boot on to access the image to restore recover the files you need?

Does EASE US have a way to do that?

I don't know since I have never used it but it would be a good thing to know.

The day you need your backup/restore plan to work is not the day to find out is doesn't.

Edited by joseibarra, 04 March 2018 - 12:11 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:13 PM

Assuming your goal is to backup the data on the drive to an external HD, an image is the correct way to go as JohnC states. The main reason to CLONE (vs Image) is if you want to use the 2nd drive as either a replacement for the original drive or as the primary drive on a second (ideally identical) system.

No, I didn't say that. It has to be on a drive with the same partition structure.

#13 akepe

akepe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

No, I didn't say that. It has to be on a drive with the same partition structure.

'' It has to be on a drive with the same partition structure. ''

OK, so  HOW do i make the drive to be the same partition structure ???

And when i want to replace that cloned drive to my laptop,how is that done ?

Thanks

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

Since you're using Easeus: https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/change-gpt-disk-to-mbr-disk-without-format.html

A Google search will reveal alternate methods to convert GPT to MBR or vice versa.

#15 DavidLMO

DavidLMO

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

Note to Original Poster.  It helps to keep things clear as to who is saying what and in what order.  When you Quote a post, Press Enter a couple of times so Your response is not included in quoted material from others.

And as JohnC states - you want an Image - not a clone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users