Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a good graphics card?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:58 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX970-DDR5-192Bit-PCI-Express-Video-Game-Graphics-Card-1GB/173178757642?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

This seems like an incredible deal. A Geforce GTX 970 for only $42? Steal!

But I've always been raised to believe "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

I first noticed that the listing only advertised 1GB of GDDR5 memory, rather than the standard 4GB. However, I also understand that graphics memory is one of the least important parts of any graphics card.

I can't tell if the specs mentioned in the listing are compliant with the specs of the standard Geforce GTX 970, since the spec sheets I can find of the official models don't even cover the same specs as this listing does.

Is this graphics card for real? Is it worthy of carrying the title of "Geforce GTX 970," or is it actually worth what it's priced at?

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 1050ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:29 PM

But I've always been raised to believe "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Good advice.  I've read reports these are much older cards with their firmware modified to identify themselves as a GTX 970.  This does not of course make it a GTX 970!  By all accounts they normally work, plug it in and you will get a picture on your display.  But it's not a 970 and won't perform as one.

Good video here:

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

And you would be 100% correct to be where the advertised card is concerned, apart from the GTX 970 being 4GB they are also 256 bit as opposed to the 192 bit as the ebay card is advertised.

I also understand that graphics memory is one of the least important parts of any graphics card.

With any hardware there needs to be a balance, there is no point in having a fast GPU if it does not have enough VRAM to support the size or amount of screens that you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users