Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to QUICKLY go through photos and copy the ones i like

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 randor

randor

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:46 AM

i am looking for the way with fewest keystrokes ( and JUST keyboard , no mouse!) to go through my photos - look at each 1 by 1 , if i like it then mark it somehow (eg favourites)

then all the ones ive marked i would want to copy to a new directory.

what app can do this for me a) on computer (windows 10) , B) on phone (samsung s6)  , and what are the keyboard commands to do it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:15 AM

If on the Samsung S6 copy to a PC.

Select all of them , then Copy , then Create your Folder { New Directory } and Paste them in there.

Then delete the Ones you dont want.

Who doesnt use a Mouse these days or a Track Pad ?

You can just use the Keyboard .........how much time do you have to waste ?.

#3 randor

randor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:20 AM

man ..
you completely did not follow what i am talking about..

there is WAY TOO MUCH WASTAGE going on!
i have TONS of photos to go through

in your way, there is a Long List of kdystrokes and mouse moves and clicks going on to do just 1 or 2 basic things!

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:40 AM

I also don't see the point in trying to do this entirely with keyboard commands, at least if you have vision.

It's far easier to open a folder and do one of two things, depending on what direction you want to go:

OPTION 1

a) Hold down the CTRL key and click on the things you DO want to select them one by one until you have all of them.  Keep the CTRL key held down the ENTIRE TIME.  If you do release the CTRL key make SURE to have it pressed down again before you do your next click or everything you have previously selected will be unselected.

b) After you've selected what you do want use the cut/copy/paste keyboard shortcut sequence to move those things you want where you want them.

c) The above can be done cyclically, which in the case of huge numbers of pictures (or anything else) is generally easier if you only select what you can see on the screen, move that, then continue on with the remainder as many cycles as is necessary.

OPTION 2

a) Hit CTRL+A to Select everything in the folder.

b) Hold down the CTRL key and click on the things you DON'T want to unselect them.  Keep the CTRL key held down the ENTIRE TIME

c) After you've unselected what you don't want use the cut/copy/paste keyboard shortcut sequence to move those things you want where you want them.

The first option is generally preferable unless the number of objects is small and can be seen all at the same time.  There's no more involved in holding down CTRL and single left clicking on the mouse than there is trying to move from object to object using strictly the keyboard and then doing the individual selects using the keyboard.  In fact, there's a lot less involved.

Edited by britechguy, 04 March 2018 - 11:41 AM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,472 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

By the way, if you insist on keyboard shortcuts only see:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts

Once a folder is open and you're sitting on the first item, you will still have to hold down the CTRL key, but you can use right/left arrow to move to the previous/next item and hit the spacebar (with the CTRL key still held down) to select/unselect toggle an item.

It's a lot more ponderous than point and click with CTRL held down, but you may prefer it.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#6 randor

randor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

man, that is basic stuff ofcourse i know about control clicking!

but thats useless to me as how do i know if i want the file or not - i first have to OPEN IT!!

also i hope to hear of a solution for android...

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,472 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:27 PM

Uh, have you ever heard of using ICONS view?   That's what I do for pictures anyway.  There is a limit to how basic I thought I needed to go.  If you are unaware of the different views available to you for pictures then hit the VIEW tab in File Explorer and pick the "icons" view that's large enough for you to see what's in the photo well enough to do the visual choices.

I cannot speak to Android, even though I use it.  I feel quite certain a web search on "Android select photos" will turn up the various methods that can be used.

#8 randor

randor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:53 PM

icons view is too small for me. i have lots of photos that r almost the same and i want to choose the best. so i need the picture to be very big

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:51 AM

We`ve given Options to what we all do with no issues , i have probably over 20,000 Photos over the years and the best way to organise them is in Folders and then rename them or by Dates or the Event.

If you have Multiple Photos  { Burst Shots } you havent given to many clues to work with to help you , or whether your working with Jpegs / Tiffs and what compression types , and what size you are taking the Photos at Sml Med Lge ?

Ive always used ACDsee - https://www.acdsee.com/ to sort files / Move To / Copy To / Batches / and you can enlarge the Thumbnails to any size you want.

If you have only a Small Monitor you can only fit so many { 1 - 20 and visible / or 50 - 100 and and just make them out } on your Display Screen.

So maybe you need to Display them on a 100 inch TV / Or Projector ? to see as many as you need ...... :hysterical: .

You could probably go and try a 3rd party Photo Management Program to sort and edit of your choice , otherwise yes its time consuming with a keyboard.

Edited by Havachat, 05 March 2018 - 02:55 AM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,472 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:08 AM

If you cannot choose the photos based on the "Extra Large Icons" view then you are going to have to use something that opens them in a size large enough for you to determine which ones you want.  The options for photo viewers and/or organizers are endless.

There is no way around the long slog ahead.  There is no way to do this quickly nor easily.  It's a labor intensive process and time consuming.

This is one of the reasons I tell my partner, and anyone who will listen, that the way to organize photos is when you first upload them and in the manner Havachat mentioned.  Create folders for the years then within those YY-MM-DD_Event_or_Collection_Description for the photos and sort 'em in small batches immediately upon uploading them.

#11 randor

randor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:07 PM

ok
thanks for the help and advice

what do u advise regarding automatic upload to google photos cloud or other clouds?
( ive recently maxed out my google storage.... ive been uploading in "original quality")

also, how do i combine a bunch of photos into 1 photo? id like to choose the photos myself but it seems the apps for this always want to choose for me

#12 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:47 AM

ok
thanks for the help and advice

what do u advise regarding automatic upload to google photos cloud or other clouds?
( ive recently maxed out my google storage.... ive been uploading in "original quality")

also, how do i combine a bunch of photos into 1 photo? id like to choose the photos myself but it seems the apps for this always want to choose for me

If you have a Photo Manager like mine , you can reduce the size of files or in batches , but quality will be lessoned and it depends on what you will do with your Photos .....Print / Manipulate / or just general viewing them ....there is always a tradeoff from the originals.

I would set your Camera at the best setting that suits you , and if they are large files then thats what you get , they can range from anywhere between 1mb up to 50mb , or higher if the format you choose is RAW or TIFFS etc. { Most use JPEG as i do }.

I dont save anything to the Cloud or elsewhere , they are my Photos and i dont trust Cloud Based storage as a Backup of my files incase they have issues.

I would , and do have at least 2 backups of those important Photos / Files of mine on 2 x 2TB Drives and also on a 8TB Drive , in there original sizes.

If you mean a bunch of Photos as a collage you can use Powerpoint if you have it on PC { Office } and start with a Blank Page , import a File , resize it and rotate if you wish and add a background image if you want also , or line them up in a rows etc , then just save that as a Jpeg.

Or you could try Paint.net ...i havent , but a link here may help you decide to at least try it as other Members here give it the thumbs up.

https://itstillworks.com/12324558/how-to-make-a-photo-collage-for-free

I mainly use Adobe Photoshop / Image Ready , so my projects are endless to what i can do , more or less anything.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Edited by Havachat, 06 March 2018 - 02:56 AM.

#13 randor

randor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:20 AM

actually i found now in google photos that you can click on up to 9 photos and then click collage and thats it. thats exactly the simplicity and speed i want - is there sometging exactly like that for the computer?

#14 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:33 AM

Is there Something exactly like that for the Computer .....I dont know ? i use what i have.

Try a few Free apps and see what they are like ? or wait until someone responds with options.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,472 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:41 PM

I cannot remember whether the now deprecated Picasa, from Google, does collages but it still functions just fine as a local photo manager on a machine and I know it has a "Create Collage" feature under its "Create" menu.   The cloud based features no longer work, but I never used those anyway.

I snagged a copy of the installer for Version 3.9, which was the final version, just before it was pulled from the web and you can download it from my Google Drive here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B98uELZbPFnOb1lZLUZmSTJTblk

and install it if you want to give it a try.   I still use it for Photo Management and its face recognition feature is pretty remarkable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users