Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Help! "DetoxCrypto Ransomware" removal Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RReneMS

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:31 AM

I have started noticing that my computer is very slow, and somethimes it even restarts without any warning. Therefore i decided to scan my computer. My Windows Defender says its all good but i didnt really trust that, so i tried a free trial of SpyHunter 4 so that i could scan my computer much deeper. The program found a bunch of small threats, but one threat got my attention. "DetoxCrypto Ransomware (110 infections)" pops up as a high level threat. Then i decided to upload and scan some of the files marked as threats at www.virustotal.com to check if anyone else have found any virus. But neither of the files that i tried to upload opposed any threats and everyone gave it a thumbs up. 
Can anyone help me to decide what to do with this? Should i buy the whole version of SpyHunter and get my computer cleaned up or is it a fake threat? I'm not a computer expert and my english is not so good. 
SpyHunter 4 explains what DetoxCrypto does:
"DetoxCrypto is a ransomware that encrypts particular documents on the targeted PC and blocks the desktop. Once run, DetoxCrypto Ransomware replicates itself to the particular locations. DetoxCrypto Ransomware creates the infected files. DetoxCrypto Ransomware then creates the file so that it can launch automatically whenever you start Windows. DetoxCrypto Ransomware then creates and modifies the Windows Registry so that it can launch automatically whenever you start windows". 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,523 posts
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:26 AM

First, remove Spyhunter off of your computer fast. It has a reputation for lots of false positives, and in my opinion, is not dependable.

If you had ransomware on your computer, all of  your data would be encrypted by now and you would have a big problem. Slow computers can be caused by many things, not just viruses. If you can access all your data with no problems, you may not have that virus.

Go to "Am I Infected" forum and post in with this same post; someone will be along to check out your computer, although it may take a couple of days.

Go here and download and run Rkill; after running it, do not reboot your computer. Now run the following programs:

Next, go here and download and install Malwarebytes (free version) and run it. Let it remove everything it finds. After it runs you can delete it.

>Be sure to remove Spyhunter before installing Malwarebytes so there is no conflict.

Next, go here and download and run Hitman Pro (free); use the version that corresponds to your system, 32 bit or 64 bit.

Next, go here and download and run Rogue Killer (free); let it remove anything it finds.

Nest, go here and download and run AdwCleaner (free); let it remove anything it finds.

>at the same web page, dial down the screen and download and run Junkware Removal Tool; let it remove anything it finds.

Post back with how it goes.

[EDIT]:  Sorry, I see that you are already in the proper forum; I should read the top header of the "new posts" more carefully.

Edited by ranchhand_, 04 March 2018 - 11:06 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users