Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transport Printer with Ink Cartridges Or Not?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:31 AM

Hello,

I am moving and I heard that one needs to take out ink cartridges out of inkjet printer before transporting it

unless it's in upright direction.

Do I place the printer in original package the same direction as it was on my office desk or I better set it

vertically with ink cartridges being at the bottom with their nostrils facing up, while liquid is at the bottom?

The cartridges' chamber is located in the front. Do I place printer vertically so that front is facing down if

I want to transport cartridges inside the printer?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:12 AM

Hi Boris_yo,

Not knowing what method you are using to move/ship your printer makes solid advice tricky. On the safe side (so to alleviate a potential mess) it would not hurt to remove your ink cartridges and using your original packing is a win! Not many folks keep their original packing for equipment. You would also be best to keep your printer in a horizontal position.

Also to keep in mind if you are not personally transporting your printer, it's best to ask the source you would use as to their requirement regarding ink. Along with that, if you are moving the printer to the USA via air, printer ink that is greater than 16 ounces is outlawed by the Department of Homeland Security. Pay attention to any laws and regulations regarding shipping security to your destination.

From my personal experience moving, I have never removed my ink cartridges as they are HP and "sealed" thus not able to leak. I have never kept the original packaging and my process is to place the printer either in the truck of my car, or on the back seat. 

Providing more details about your move will help additional member contributions. Good luck with your move!

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:06 PM

I have never removed ink cartridges from a printer when moving it.  I have never had any leak during a move, either.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

depends?

is the print head built into the ink cartridges? - if yes then it's ok to remove them and move the printer as long as you have the covers that go over the print head to seal them to keep them from drying out. worst that will happen you may have to buy a new ink cartridge.

if no, then you need the leave them in the printer because if you remove the ink tank from the printer the left over ink exposed to the air will dry out in the print head and you'll have a non working printer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users