Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows cannot find the specified file

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ninjarig

ninjarig

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:01 AM

Hello I am a long time user of the info on bleeping computer. This resource is amazing and i am extremely thankful for all the time put into all of it by everyone involved.

that being said i need some guidance. when I attempt to run/install some newly downloaded  programs I get an error message that windows cannot find the specified file and that i may not have required permissions to access it.

I am doing this from my administrator account running them as an administrator. I have checked file permissions on all and i do have the appropriate permissions.  

i have also noticed that in task manager it never reflects any network usage whatsoever, even when in obvious use and the disk usage is almost always at 100 percent even when idle with nothing open  cpu usage fluctuates but the total number at the top is always larger than the sum of each individual programs cpu usage..

running windows 10 on a dell inspirion laptop  

thank you in  advance for the assistance. 

please advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:57 AM

For CPU % on all , did you select : Show All Processes From All Users " { Bottom Left } within Task Manager ?

This will then show all running Processes and whats eating up CPU , if any.

Also when Installing Apps , Best to Right Click the Application and Select " Run as Administrator "

Try Uninstalling them , then  try the above  Method.

#3 ninjarig

ninjarig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:25 PM

I have a link bottom left in task manager that says more details or fewer details I keep in on the more setting  But i can find nothing anywhere within the task manager that  offers the ability to  see all processes from all users, and i have scoured every screen and menu item to no avail  

Yes i do attempt   to run everything   by right clicking and running as    administrator.  every single one gives the same message "i don't have permissions..  " i have deleted and tried again multiple times.  no change  i is really only happening  when i try to run antivirus and security software or to install them.                This all started when my avast simply stopped working,     

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:35 AM

Uninstall Avast or do a Repair from within Add/Remove Programs { Maybe Different on Win 10 }.

Or Uninstall Avast , Go Offline and then try Installing the  Apps again that you downloaded { ensure they are from legitimate and trustworthy sites }

If ok Then Reinstall Avast and go Online again.

If this still fails others may help if its a Permission Issue or if you maybe Infected.

#5 ninjarig

ninjarig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:47 PM

unfortunately  that didnt help.  i tried the re install of it and no good. I also, checked the file permissions on the files that are sending the error message. From what i can tell i have the correct permissions but still the files will either not install or the ones i already had installed they try to run then throw the same error message.     which forum topic should i seek help from?

\

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:09 AM

which forum topic should i seek help from?

PM a Moderator or Administrator to move it to the  " Am I Infected Area  " or they may request you to start a New Thread in that Topic.

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 462 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:30 AM

Hi, you will have to uninstall Avast, to be properly rid of it use their uninstaller, get it from here and follow the instructions.

https://www.avast.com/en-au/uninstall-utility

You do yourself a disservice, the best AV for home users is already installed, it is windows defender and windows defender firewall. 

#8 IttechGyan

IttechGyan

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:42 AM

This error may occur because QuickBooks has downloaded software and or payroll updates and is not able to install these updates because of Windows user permissions or User Account Control settings in Windows Vista or Windows 7/8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users