Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ROKU & Amazon Firestick Jailbreak

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DadaMan

DadaMan

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:52 PM

ello!

I've been a bit puzzled about these gizmos for TV and the "elite" cable cutting club for a little bit to save some money from these corporate giants that forgot all the little guys that helped them grow.

Could someone please explain what these devices and their differences are in order to *watch *Television/Internet/Phone so that you won't have to mortgage the house to pay a cable/tv/Internet...bill every month.

Are these devices legal? some offer for a one time fee access to over 300 channels..ones that you would normally be paying full price to have them.

Apparently there are lots of folks out there that are in the same boat and are having a difficult time finding out the best ways to utilize these devices and how to set them up?

Any help would be deeply appreciated...

Yeah! i know throw the TV away and live on an island in the sun without Internet, phones and flat screens the size on Montana.

Cordiali Saulti, Raffaele

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:44 AM

Yes they are legal (though not necessarily if they are "jailbroken"). These days most, if not all, major tv / video content providers have a means of viewing their content via the internet. Fire Stick and Roku are streaming devices that access that content and allow you to watch it on whatever device they are connected to. Here are more in-depth explanations:

https://www.indiatoday.in/technology/features/story/amazon-fire-tv-stick-what-is-it-how-it-works-and-5-features-you-must-know-972589-2017-04-20

https://www.groundedreason.com/a-beginners-guide-to-roku/

Edited by Allan, 04 March 2018 - 08:44 AM.

#3 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:55 AM

Thank YOU Alan!

The Jailbreak version as I understand it is "pre-loaded" with this thing called KODI. Which apparently enables someone to access most of all channels "free" including but not limited to News, Netflix, Hulu, Sports, Movies, MLB, Premium channels.,etc...

I'm not clear on the differences between ROKU & Amazon Firestick and Amazon Firestick Jailbreak. https://www.shopdroidlife.com/

*ROKU vs. *Amazon Firestick Jailbreak.

*The one time fee is already included in the listing price. We were just stating you only need to pay for this product once without a monthly subscription tag. It does include major news channels such as ABC, CNN, Fox, etc. 

Premium live channels like HBO, Showtime, etc but you can pretty much on demand whatever movie or TV show, so the live TV really doesn't matter much unless you like live stuff. You can easily search for an HBO title such as Game of Thrones and watch the episodes on demand.

*(ROKU) It's the same type of streaming device except that we can install the programs necessary that allows you to access free content and it's an Amazon device, which has a better network on programs and apps in general.

There apparently are free Movie channels, News and other media you can access via VGA cable from a computer>Televisions PC/VGA Input. These free movie streaming channels can be annoying on/off due to various reasons..too many people accessing the same movie, your ISP, computer, etc...

If I chose to go any of these routes I'd like to narrow the choice down by getting the best possible device(s). 

That's all I know.

Further thoughts please...

Sinceremente, 
Raffaele

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:49 AM

I'm not going to get into jailbreaking on this site because of the legality question. What I CAN tell you is that you can EASILY do it yourself by following instructions all over the web and easily unearthed via Google, and there is no need to pay extra for a fire stick or roku that someone else modified. And with that, I'll gracefully (I hope :) ) bow out of this thread.

Edited by Allan, 04 March 2018 - 10:50 AM.

#5 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

Thank you!

That's fine...I understand where your coming from.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

:thumbup2: `

#6 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:54 PM

Curious!
Is one better than the other? ROKU Versus Amazon firestick/jailbreak?

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

Like anything else, the answers you receive will be purely subjective. Decide for yourself and pick one. They are both quality products.

#8 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

Thank YOU!
There seems to be a shroud of mystery about these devices and what they can and cannot do. If you pre-load firestick there appears to be a multitude of different apps you'll need outside of KODI lets say...
I'm just trying to sort this out after spending considerable time watching videos and reading various articles..only to find myself as much or more confused than when I started.  :crazy: 

Stumped,

Raffaele

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users