Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Student In Need of new Value Desktop Tower Computer for 500-600 dollars or under

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Travisfscj07

Travisfscj07

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

I have very limited computer knowledge outside of using them. I will be using it everyday for Microsoft word an internet browsing. I don't need it to play game although it would be nice if it played some of the older games I enjoy like Heroes of Newerth and Starcraft. I haven't bought a PC in over ten years and my Laptop and desktop both decided to kick the bucket in one weekend. I am not opposed to a laptop if i can get just as much bang for my buck, but it will still be used like a desktop (sitting at home on my school desk never to be moved). ANY help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking to build one. I am looking to buy a tower only (have monitor)!

Thanks, 

Travis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,224 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:15 PM

Take a look at the Dell site, both new and refurbished with warranty.  Usually some nice deals with reasonable support.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Travisfscj07

Travisfscj07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:18 PM

Thanks a ton Phil!! From my research it seems i am going to go with a dell or an acer. http://deals.dell.com/productdetail/xva

#4 Travisfscj07

Travisfscj07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:20 PM

A dell similar to that one or an acer such as this one seems to be what i'm leading towards.  https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Desktop-i5-7400-Windows-TC-780-ACKI5/dp/B073YHNPC6/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1520126366&sr=1-2&keywords=acer

#5 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:31 PM

Hello Travisfscj07,   I had a similar problem to you where I had to replace a 10 year old desktop PC and was on a limited budget. I looked around at the all the Desktops and Laptops that are available on the market. I found one that fit my budget, but when I looked at the specs they did NOT make sense! The Power supply was so Small that it should Barely power the PC given the specs!  So I then looked at Building my own!! I looked at different build videos on the internet and thought: "DANG, This does not seem so hard. I could do this."  SO I saved up my money and then with the help of pcpartpicker.com I created a few different build ideas and then narrowed them down to a couple build ideas with the help of the people on the forums here! I then saved up some extra money to buy the parts. I still watched build videos. Then when I had the money saved up and was confident enough and then Finalized the Build idea to build, I ordered the parts! Once all of the parts were in, I re-watched the one build video again to make sure I had the build process fresh in my mind. Then I started the Build! 

My computer build took me a little longer than I expected because I goofed up a couple of times! Over thinking the process too much and "should I put the drive here or there."  Then trying it in both positions and then Not liking it in either one! LOL  But once I was done, I LOVED IT!!!! 

A year Later, I would do it all again!! Why? You know what is in it, How it went together, and You have the Pride of doing it yourself!! 

My original Budget to Buy or build a computer was $500 US. But eventually ended up spending around at $800 US to Build it. I spent more on a couple items than I would have liked, but in all it was worth it.

Hope this helps.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,224 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:43 PM

You will do well with either the Acer or the Dell, I  had good luck with both brands.  I do run a built one now.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Travisfscj07

Travisfscj07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:02 PM

Hmm. I think i will go with a dell. What is the difference between the Inspirion version dell desktops and the optiplex dell desktops? Seems both are in my price range. I've narrowed it to these 2. In simple terms, whats the main difference? 

#8 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:58 AM

Dell Inspiron are aimed at the home user.

Dell OptiPlex are intended by Dell for corporate use.

So Inspiron will ten to have more consumer type features (audio / video / multimedia type stuff), & OptiPlex will have "management" features which are not required by an end user - but which can be turned off & ignored,

I would expect OptiPlex to be more durable / better built from better quality components - as corporate or educational customers who buy many computers on a fixed replacement cycle would be seriously unhappy if they got a lot of hardware failures & so would probably take their substantial business elsewhere. I have supplied several people with used OptiPlex machines - mostly bought off eBay for scrap money then upgraded a little on RAM & storage - & these seem to give very little bother & just keep on working.

#9 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:19 AM

Here a DIY build for around $400. $450, not a gaming pc but will work for the basics

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rfLmGG

Edited by Joe C, 04 March 2018 - 08:20 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

Here a DIY build for around $400. $450, not a gaming pc but will work for the basics

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rfLmGG

Plus the cost of the OS,mouse/keyboard if needed, and perhaps an optical drive but those are good parts; better than what Dell puts in their computers, especially the PSU. And if you have a Dell specific PSU they charge an arm and a leg for a replacement. On OEMs your lucky to get anything over 300W.

According to the Dell service manual the PSU is not a standard ATX and does not have a standard 24pin connector. $106 for one on ebay. It's 240 watts.

http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-3668-desktop_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 March 2018 - 02:58 PM.

#11 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post, the 10 year old computer I replaced with the computer I built myself, That was a Dell Dimension E521 with Windows Vista, I bought back in 2007. So I would say I got my monies worth! lol  The only problems I had were computer viruses, slow internet (dial up) when I first got the computer, and Software problems! The only thing I did not like was it did not have a lot of storage, memory, and could not readily add on to the computer except through Dell. But for what I was using it for it was good enough!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users