Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dwm.exe Memory usage

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Vantezzle

Vantezzle

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:09 PM

Help me understand this, dwm.exe commit reported in Resource Monitor can reach up to 6GB(highest I've seen, probably can reach higher as it seems to keep rising), but the private(KB) and the memory usage by the task manager was never above 100MB...Is that normal?(Current usage in the screenshot below. https://prnt.sc/imhcxr

Task manager screenshot https://prnt.sc/imhmzy

Also, Bitdefender Total Security and Malwarebytes scans came up clean..

Edit: Tried updating my NVIDIA drivers too, didn't help...

Edited by Vantezzle, 03 March 2018 - 07:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:38 PM

Is this under Windows 10?  The screen shots look like Windows 7.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 Vantezzle

Vantezzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

Windows 10 Version 1709, Build 16299.248

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:56 PM

Hi, it's from Task manager, "Details" and they have expanded the columns to show the commit charge + others.

Commit charge is probably not well understood, It is not actually memory that is being used, It will however produce the system is low on memory warning, what many think relates to physical memory. (and it is often due to corruption with the paging file, BTW win 10 has two of these) It is not a simple thing to explain, do you have an Intel processor?

You can test your systems capacity for commit memory, if you are well below the limit I would not worry about it. Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" copy and paste the following cmd into the prompt window.

wmic path Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfOS_Memory get CommittedBytes, CommitLimit /format:list > 0 & notepad 0

You can let us see the notepad output if you like, I have a link that is written for laymen and would help you understand better, if you want to give yourself a headache.

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:25 AM

Do you have another user on the machine?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/02331520-d044-471b-84f4-5a0a898c3589/why-desktop-windows-manager-states-dwm2dwm3dwm1-in-task-manager?forum=w8itprosecurity

#6 Vantezzle

Vantezzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:36 AM

Hi, it's from Task manager, "Details" and they have expanded the columns to show the commit charge + others.

Commit charge is probably not well understood, It is not actually memory that is being used, It will however produce the system is low on memory warning, what many think relates to physical memory. (and it is often due to corruption with the paging file, BTW win 10 has two of these) It is not a simple thing to explain, do you have an Intel processor?

You can test your systems capacity for commit memory, if you are well below the limit I would not worry about it. Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" copy and paste the following cmd into the prompt window.

wmic path Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfOS_Memory get CommittedBytes, CommitLimit /format:list > 0 & notepad 0

You can let us see the notepad output if you like, I have a link that is written for laymen and would help you understand better, if you want to give yourself a headache.

I'll do the test next time I see high usage, and yes, i7-7700HQ

No, just one user..

Edit: Noticed something weird, typing 11 words a moment ago, increased the DWM commit from 60MB to 98MB...Could it be my on-screen keyboard that I'm using because of my disability?

Here's a link: http://www.comfort-software.com/on-screen-keyboard.html

Edited by Vantezzle, 04 March 2018 - 08:05 AM.

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:29 AM

Hi, Vantezzle!

Sorry for the late reply, but anyway:

Yes, that is quite likely, since dwm stands for Desktop Windows Manager, and your on-screen keyboard increases its workload, which causes the memory usage to increase as well.

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#8 Vantezzle

Vantezzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for the reply!

This my current usage, around 5 hours since booting the laptop but I wasn't typing much..

Do you think I have anything to worry about?

http://prntscr.com/io5jch

Edited by Vantezzle, 07 March 2018 - 11:50 AM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,787 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:51 AM

If you are not having any functional issues with your machine then there is nothing to be concerned about, period.

If it's fast enough, doesn't bog down when you're doing what you usually do, doesn't behave "oddly" like there's an infection of some kind, etc., then digging under the hood and examining system processes with a microscope is searching for a non-existent problem.

And I offer the above as general advice.   I am endlessly amazed by how many end users latch on to "process X or Y" and get greatly concerned about it when nothing unusual at all is happening on their computer and the machine remains 100% functional and usable.  If that's the case, there is no problem.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#10 Vantezzle

Vantezzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:54 AM

It doesn't feel any slower, but obviously I wouldn't notice if it was only a little bit slower..The only oddity that I've noticed, is the little circle on the mouse constantly blinking while Chrome is running.

Thank you all for the help!

Edited by Vantezzle, 07 March 2018 - 11:57 AM.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,787 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:02 PM

It doesn't feel any slower, but obviously I wouldn't notice if it was only a little bit slower..The only oddity that I've noticed, is the little circle on the mouse constantly blinking while Chrome is running.

If anyone can offer a definitive answer as to why the "busy circle" occasionally likes to indicate constantly busy when hovering over certain programs I'd love to hear it.

This seems to happen with some regularity, but which program or programs seems to vary widely from machine to machine.   It also seems to be a spurious indicator, at least in my experience, because the program in which this is occurring most often responds entirely normally to mouse clicking.

~ Lauren Bacall

#12 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:50 AM

Hi again, Vantezzle!

Thank you all for the help!

You are welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users