Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop WIll Not Power On After Installing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sapienta

Sapienta

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:35 PM

I was given an HP Pavilion 15 laptop that was believed to be in need of a hard drive. I installed a drive I had on hand, but, afterward, the PC would not power on (it did before it was taken apart for the replacement). It did not take long to figure out that the cable connecting the power button to the board had gotten ripped in the process. As I am not comfortable with soldering, I purchased a replacement power button (HP DA0U83PB6E0) and installed it. However, the machine still appears to have no power. The light on the power button does not come on. There is no sound. I have tried hooking it up to the charger just in case, but without success. No light comes on when charger is connected.

As stated previously, it powered on before the hard drive was installed (and the power button cable was ripped), so I am presuming the motherboard itself is still good. Are there any other parts / disconnected cables (aside from the battery and power button) that could cause this behavior, or did I possibly make a mistake during my install of the power button? What steps might I perform to troubleshoot the issue?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:43 AM

What is the complete model number or product number of that HP? (It's on the same sticker as the serial number)

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 Sapienta

Sapienta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:11 PM

Sorry, for the late response. This is still an issue. Currently, when the charger is plugged in, the LED light on the side will blink when the power button is pushed, but that is it. No sound or other signs of life. It is a 15-1009wm. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

#4 masterHDD

masterHDD

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:47 PM

Did you take it apart yourself or someone else installed the hard drive? Sounds like the MOBO is gone to the Neverland. Still got a warranty on that laptop?

#5 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:31 PM

Just a couple questions for you.  Did you try removing the HDD and see if the laptop powers on then?  Perhaps the HDD has a blown TVS diode that could be causing it to short circuit.  Also, have you tried connecting the HDD to another computer to be sure it's good?  I think that's the first thing I'd try to just be sure.

It's possible that a shorted TVS even melted the solder resulting in the cable coming loose.

Edited by DataMedic, 17 May 2018 - 04:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users