Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nonologue

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ohjoy

ohjoy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/655748/my-introduction-to-the-introductions-newbie/ - Hamluis.

Hard Reset to the Rescue
Sorta.
Upon returning home after a storm, I could not boot to Windows. The desktop PC would not even beep during POST.
Yes, video, motherboard and, I suspected the hard drive too, were all working, but not completing the boot process.
(I'm old school, so didn't update my Dell Opti 980 workhorse from Win 7 Pro to 10. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it.)
But it passed the built-in diags and had some video displaying. It had the CD/DVD drive listed in the proper sequence but wouldn't run the repair programs on it.
I had forgotten about the solution that Google finally located for me: Dell's page detailing how to apply a hard reset.
I discharged the stray voltage, then after two powercycles, it let me get to a screen where I chose the most recent system restore point. It displayed 0 error codes, and said it completed the restoration.
Unfortunately after some restarts it went back to showing earlier messages that basically looped back onto themselves.
No errors, the machine passes diags, seems to have working hardware, but won't finish booting. Maybe I should have accepted the Windows 10 upgrade.
I went through the loop again but this time was able to  select Use Recovery Tools.
That failed, but when I went through the process another time l got it to accept restore from system image, the last, most drastic step.
Another thing I almost had forgotten: there are 5 DVDs in my image set. Windows does not accept disk 1 of 5. It needed for me to insert disk 5 of 5 before it would start the restoration.
To keep noobs from making a total trump-up of their system, no doubt.
Bye bye recent, un-backed up files. I did make copies of some of the more important ones not so long ago, sigh. Another late night fighting the good fight...
Note to my future self: burn an image to a USB stick or drive, you dofus!
And BUY the UPS battery-backup that would minimize and maybe avoid problems like these keystone cops adventures in the first place.
RIP, old hard drive. Restore from the 5 DVD's completed.
But the error messages of old reappeared:  "Windows failed to start. Launch startup repair, or Start Windows normally" - neither of which will ever help revive the tired carcass of this gratefully dead disc.
Tomorrow I pop in a new one and maybe Ubuntu in my next life. Just kidding, Bill. We're too indebted to your creations that survive in the images of computers past.
I could have added the new hard drive and made it the primary one, to try and salvage my data files. If it had been the other PC that's what I might have done.

-30-

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2018 - 03:21 PM.
Moved from Intros to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users