Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Manually assign a device

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adams369

Adams369

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:11 PM

How do I manually assign a device that has never been  connected to the internet. I know the steps but will it show in the router configuration if it has never acctually been on the network before. And by the way its a mac Im working with. and It is an old rca bluray player with wifi that won't connect automatically. how can I assign it an ip address if I cant' find it's m.a.c address in the router because it never has been connected. or do I just give it an address and make sure the rest is the right way like subnet, and gateway. etc. 

Thank you 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

If you can't get the device to connect to the Wifi the IP address is a moot point. If your able to configure the device to connect to the wireless and assign it a static IP address choose any ip address that is NOT in your DHCP scope. Match your default gateway (usually the IP of the router) Subnet mask and DNS. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Vicin

Vicin

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:29 PM

Do you have a "WPS" button on your router and on the Blueray?

Usually the way to "pair" them is to hit the WPS buttons within 30 sec or so on both.

If you don't have a WPS button on the router, sometimes it's not a physical button but an option in the software (might be the same for the Blueray), usually called "Trigger WPS". Sometimes you have to enable the WPS function in the router as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users