Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Image Backup does not recognize drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FreeCat

FreeCat

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:38 PM

Hi - I am trying to use Windows backup to write an image.  I have an internal HDD of 2TB that is empty and I can write and read it, but the windows backup says "Windows Backup said "Drive H is not connected"  However it is clearly present as seen in Windows explorer and in Disk Management app; I can read and write to it.

Just found Disk Master program by QILING and it has recognized the H drive and is performing backup.  I will post results.

QILING backup seemed to work, but seems very small and has no way to re-read backup image to check if OK.  

I am trying EASEUS now.  It has recognized the H drive.  We will see and post when done.

Edited by FreeCat, 04 March 2018 - 11:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

This is the BSOD forum. If you aren't having BSODs it can be moved to a more appropriate forum. Which version of Windows are you running?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

I really have no idea why Windows does not see that drive. Does the below link help? It explains how to reconnect a drive in Windows backup.

https://superuser.com/questions/501517/windows-back-up-thinks-drive-is-disconnected

I have used Windows backup but I try to avoid it and use third party software like Aomei. I have also used Macrium Free. Another that is fairly easy to use is Easeus Todo Backup Free. I would recommend using one of these over Microsoft's. All of the three I have mentioned allow you to verify the image created while Microsoft does not. On all three you can also mount the image as a virtual drive so any file can be copied out of the image. Aomei and Easeus also do file backups, both incremental and differential. Easeus is the most intuitive for file backups as it allows you to select all files at one window.

Easeus Todo Backup Free

#4 FreeCat

FreeCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:01 AM

QILING backup seemed to work, but seems very small and has no way to re-read backup image to check if OK.  

I am trying EASEUS now.  It has recognized the H drive.  We will see and post when done.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:06 AM

The big downside of Qiling is it does not support GPT disks. A showstopper for me.

http://www.idiskhome.com/main/product_free_comp.shtml

According to the online help it can check images but I don't know if this was removed from the free version.

http://www.idiskhome.com/help/check_image.shtml

Check image can verify the validity of the image file after backup and confirm that the image file can be recovered successfully even if it has been some time since it was created. If our product finds errors during checking process, the image file might be damaged and cannot be used for recovery.

To check image, click on 'Advanced -> Check image' from 'Backup and recovery' page.

Note: show 'Advanced' button when the mouse point a task item in the Backup and recovery page.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 March 2018 - 10:08 AM.

#6 FreeCat

FreeCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:56 AM

BTW, I just found a backup program QILING Disk Master and it seems to recognize the H drive and is not doing the backup.  BTW, I tried AOMEI (paid pro version) and kept getting a 4098.

FWIW, the QILING program did not impress me.  No verification possible.  Uncompressed image was too small.  I have since tried EASEUS home which is free and has the verify and made a decent sized image.

I have given up on the idea of using Windows backup as I have read so many bad things about it.  But, I do feel there is some basic error in my system with H not being recognized by MS but is recognized by QILING and EASUS.

Edited by FreeCat, 05 March 2018 - 11:17 AM.

#7 FreeCat

FreeCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:21 AM

Hi Hyper Henry,

OK, I will deleted this entry.  But, first, I am having Malware problems.  What forum is that?  I used MalwareBytes, but after removing one marked serious my machine rebooted with a black desktop (Win 7 64b).  Where should I go for that?  Thanks.

#8 FreeCat

FreeCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:27 AM

Thanks to all.  This has been solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users