Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Is Teh Broked.(i Think?)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shiftplusone

shiftplusone

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:27 PM

Been trying to figure out what's going on with this, buuut my router just seems to have failed on me.. It just randomly stopped working on like... Thursday. The internet directly from my modem to my computer works fine! but once I switch it up to my router, it says "connected" in the network connection stuff. but I can't get on AIM, or visit any websites.

I tried my old Linksys too, but nothing again.
I'm using a D-Link now.

I'm thinking it's some sort of setting in my computer since it says "connected" but I just don't know...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:13 AM

If you can connect directly from your PC to the modem - then I doubt the problem is in the PC.

By chance, did you setup your internet account with your ISP using the computer connected directly to the modem? If so, have you setup the router to "clone" the PC's MAC address? This might be because your ISP doesn't reconize the MAC address of the router.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:09 AM

Try rebooting everything in the system from the cable modem to the router to the computer.

Shutdown the computer, disconnect the power to the router and the modem.
Disconnect the cable connectiion cable from the wall, the connection to the router, and the router's connection to the computer.

Wait a few minutes.

Reconnect the cable to the modem, the modem to the router and the router to the computer.

Reconnect the power to the modem, the power to the router and reboot the computer in that order.

See if it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users