Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had Win 7 64b Ult BSOD - semi recovered but slow and now locked out

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FreeCat

FreeCat

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:42 PM

Howdy - Had Win 7 64b Ult BSOD in 2017 - Was helped considerably by Boggin in Tweaking forum - had trouble writing Windows backup to local H drive (H was there and formated and had space but not recognized by Windows 7 backup image,  BTW AOMEI recognized it but kept getting 4098 error); I wanted to make a backup image before repairing Windows update which caused the BSOD.

Ran MalwareBytes (machine became very SLOW) and found 627 PUP one of which was flagged as malware.  MalwareBytes said restart of machine necessary to complete job.  I rebooted.

And, now  on restart Windows "desktop" comes back but it is totally black.  Mouse moves around screens.  Did restart a second time.  Same thing.  So, I restarted in Safe Mode.  Same thing.  Mouse moves.  Black desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

sad.png

Edited by FreeCat, 03 March 2018 - 01:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

Tap F8 for advanced boot options and select Use Last Known Good Configuration. Does that work?

#3 FreeCat

FreeCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:22 PM

Thanks, John, that worked.  Now I have the desktop back.  Last Known did the trick.  But, now, how to identify the cause and fix machine so it does not happen again.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:34 PM

Do mean the black screen caused after the Malwarebytes scan? I wouldn't have a clue other than it was due to some file Malwarebytes flagged and removed during the scan. I did read up on the Aomei error and it seems it can be worked around by creating the bootable media in Aomei and use it to create the backup to the external drive, working outside of Windows.

#5 FreeCat

FreeCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:15 AM

OK, John, although painful to give up on AOMEI (as I have used it for a long time with no problems) I am putting is aside.  I have found and use EASUS home (free and did a verify after backup to H drive).  So, backup not a problem anymore.

My challenge now is to get any malware off the system.  I am at a loss as to how to do this.  MalwareBytes removed that piece of Malware but left me the unresponsive (except for mouse movement) black desktop). 

I followed your advice to get my system back with "F8, use "last know configuration".  That worked, but now I keep getting Byte Fence (which i did not consciously install) asking me to remove more things.  But, I do not want to use this; I know nothing about it.  Also, the MalwareBytes episode that took computer away worries me.  

Boggin in the Tweaking forum told me to go to Bleeping to ask for solutions to these malware problems that I have.  

What do you suggest?

Edited by FreeCat, 06 March 2018 - 09:36 AM.

#6 FreeCat

FreeCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

Thanks to all.  This has been solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users